What are the disadvantages of mind maps
Mind maps and mind mapping tools in the craft
Topics of this post
Do you know that? You think about how to do something and you can't think of anything. A mind map helps you get an overview of the question and possible solutions in a creative way. Create maps of your thoughts with Mind Maps and find access to the important topics. We give you free tips on how to learn mind mapping and how to organize your thoughts in mind maps.
Creating a mind map in a craft business - how are you?
Mind mapping is the term used to create a so-called Mind map.It is a card on which the Knowledge or the Ideas is structured graphically and depicted on different levels. Mind maps are tools to help your creativity (e.g. after a brainstorming) to give a structure and to keep track of things.
What is the use of a mind map in the craft?
There are many situations in the Craft, in which a task has to be broken down into parts and structured. You cannot put a good idea into a working order with sheer creativity. Creating a mind map arranges the thoughts and divides them into units of meaning.
In what order do the various trades come to a large construction site? Project management is often too complex to keep everything in mind. With the help of a mind map you can create complex Projects and Tasks quickly and easily disassemble into more manageable parts and see the interdependencies. For craftsmen, the perspective of project planning is worth gold, after all, there are many smaller tasks to consider.
Another advantage of mind mapping is the transfer of knowledge between employees. Your team can learn from each other and adopt thought patterns once they get the knowledge out of their heads. With mind maps, implicit knowledge (in the mind) is explicitly represented (usable for everyone). By writing them down, you secure valuable operational knowledge and can react more flexibly to changes in staff. Mind maps can form the cornerstone of systematic knowledge management.
What do you need for a mind map?
A large sheet of paper and colored pencils (colorful is important!) are sufficient.
Approach to mind mapping
You do not work into the blue, but look for a meaningful term as the center:
- "Shopping List"
- "Company party"
- "Internet presence"
- "Organization chart planning"
- "What do I have to go shopping?"
- "What do we need for the company party?"
- "How do I get more visitors to my website"
Lay the paper in front of you in landscape format and write this term in capital letters in the middle. Instead of the term, you can use a meaningful picture. Then outline the central term with a thick line or decorate it with sketches, symbols etc. There are no limits to your imagination, the mind map is an expression of your thoughts!
Next steps of a mind map
You work out the topic from this central concept: Imagine a tree, your central concept is the trunk and now you add the branches and the roots. All ideas that come to mind spontaneously can be added to your mind map and grouped around the central term. Connect the ideas using lines with the central term. If you are not sure, take sticky notes that you write on and stick in different places. This makes regrouping easier.
It has proven useful to choose a separate color for each main group (therefore colored pens!). Further visual aids are framing the terms, small pictures or sketches and connecting lines for dependencies on other groups.
Ideas and terms, i.e. branches, are derived from these branches, which you group along the respective branch. Be careful not to write sentences, but to use keywords.
I got the topic "Successful web presence" with the free mind mapping software XMind (
What if the path from trunk to branch gets stuck?
You go the other way around if you have an idea that does not fit into an existing category. Take the time to find an umbrella term and add it to your mind map. Subordinate the idea and other ideas to this term. If you can't think of a word, try to find a symbol. As an example for the website: You think of “PDF”, but it doesn't fit into any existing category. You look for a new generic term and download it. Below you can group PDF, images, documents, podcasts and forms with a possible addition “free of charge”. With this in mind, create your own download area in the design of the website. You will save the material you have made available there in accordance with data protection compliance. The trunk-branch-branch method helps to create a good structure and through the connections of thoughts you develop projects with structure.
Example of a "paper-and-colored pencil map" that I made for myself on the subject of "process management".
You add many new aspects to your central concept. In the next step, improve your mind map with colors, terms and other brainstorming topics. If you move different terms into other categories, you should create new connections, further elaborate certain areas, etc. Make notes for other mind maps.
Areas of application Mind Maps in craft
Practical example for a mind map in the building trade
With a mind map, you can break down and break down complex tasks into their sub-steps. As an example, we take the construction of a carport by a carpentry company. The task begins with the preparatory activities such as ordering wood, joinery and prefabrication of the carport. This includes preparatory work on the construction site such as foundation and foundations, as well as the actual construction of the carport. Possible roofing work and other trades are further parts of the project.
This bundle of tasks can be structured with a mind map and put in the correct order. If you have created a "blueprint" using a mind map, this helps in creating a proper calculation and post calculation. You can add process problems and forgotten steps to the mind map and initiate a continuous improvement process or KAIZEN in the craft.
Advantages and disadvantages of mind mapping
With a mind map, you have a valuable tool at your fingertips to bring order to your thoughts and ideas. You will find it easier to find solutions to small or large tasks while you are creating a mind map.
Advantages of mind mapping:
- The method is easy to use and suitable for a wide variety of tasks and problems.
- You leave linear thinking structures and open yourself to new ideas.
- Networks and associations can be called up more easily.
- Information, ideas and tasks are organized.
- The graphic representation promotes clarity.
Disadvantages of mind mapping:
- Individual mind maps are often difficult to see through for outsiders.
- Mind maps are only suitable to a limited extent for teamwork.
- Mind map software can cause problems with the representation of a lot of information.
- With large and complex tasks, the mind map can quickly become confusing
- Creative mind maps with lots of colors and images often seem "unprofessional" to outsiders
- The creation of mind maps structure the task - they are not the problem solution!
Tips for the right mind map program:
Mind Map Freeware:
Commercial Mind Map Programs:
Browser Mind Map Freeware:
Conclusion on mind mapping:
Mind maps are an excellent tool for structuring tasks in your craft business or company. At first, the method looks strange, but the more you design mind maps, the faster they will work. As with any new skill, the following applies: Practice creates masters!
Greetings from Bayreuth
Image source: fotolia, © Andrey Popov
Bonus tip for Mind Maps - the creation
- Do doctors have leave
- How do I reduce the budget deficit
- What are your financial resolutions for 2017
- How are Christians treated in China
- Why do people treat different people differently
- Narcissistic gas light can make schizophrenia worse
- What is the national flower of Vietnam
- What do the girls expect from the boys?
- What is missing in this world
- Why are Sri Lankan women so beautiful
- Who pays the police's salary
- How is the Ethiopian food Injera prepared
- Why should the MeToo movement stop?
- What is your family's favorite dessert
- All skin cancer is melanoma
- Narcissists regret divorce
- What are the best subscription models
- How can you be motivated
- Why is there the creepy valley
- Can CBD gums get you high
- What is an old life
- What is the physical interpretation of iota
- How is education in Kalasalingam
- When does low code become no code
- What is a hexagonal pyramid
- Technical skills are overrated
- How does home care help
- The most dangerous country in the world
- Who is the evangelist named Mark
- What is the capital of the Comoros
- What is one thing you want
- Why is douche a bad word
- What's the Best Thanksgiving Cake Recipe
- What is tokenization cryptocurrency