Why do some people whistle
Whistling caterpillars and five other surprisingly musical animals
In the laboratory experiment, red-shouldered blackbirds approached a tasty portion of mealworms. They triggered a sensor that played the recording of a whistling sound from the caterpillar in question. The birds responded to the whistle by flying away, flinching back and diving. This suggests that the sound startled her.
So while the whistling helps the caterpillar experience the next day, such vocalizations can serve many other functions as well. Below are five other accomplished whistling artists of nature.
Guinea pigs mainly make noise to communicate with each other and with their owners. For example, a young guinea pig whistles when it is separated from its mother.
But pet owners probably know another reason for guinea pigs whistling: the anticipation of food. Many guinea pigs learn to recognize the signs of an upcoming meal and respond by whistling intensely.
The particularly social wild dogs that populate the dense forests of Asia in packs are also known as "whistling hunters".
Red dogs pursue cooperative hunting strategies and split up into smaller groups in order to rearrange prey that hide deep in the vegetation. To coordinate their movements in an environment that is both noisy and overgrown, the dogs whistle to each other.
Male mice produce ultrasonic whistling sounds that are beyond human hearing. They use it to woo females and warn rivals of their territorial borders.
According to a recent study, mice use their windpipes to make these sounds while bypassing their vocal cords - a mechanism that has never been seen in an animal before. In fact, it is similar to how a supersonic aircraft engine works.
- Where can we buy snakes in India
- What does LGBT mean
- How effective are medieval swords against armor
- Would you marry someone with Down syndrome?
- Why is China buying Australia
- Will google report me for doing an illegal search
- Why do I smell like my boyfriend
- Why does China never have recessions?
- How powerful are North Korea's nuclear weapons
- Where do I sell my old books
- What is your favorite pastime in October
- What is a typical breakfast in Italy
- What is information technology 3
- Which companies are hiring network technicians
- The information economy can save us
- What are the benefits of stairlifts
- What is the importance of road traffic
- How good is Qantas
- Who should pay income tax
- What is the beginning of business activity
- What is the psychology of most teenagers
- What are universal museums
- Modern life is too long
- How can I improve my country Pakistan