Christmas is a popular holiday in Uruguay
Hanisauland: Lexicon @todo: from Preprocess
- Official name:
- Republic of East Uruguay
- Uruguayan peso
- National holiday:
- August 25; Independence day
Uruguay is located in the southeast of South America. Its neighboring countries are Brazil in the north and Argentina in the west. To the east is the Atlantic Ocean. The weather in Uruguay is similar all year round. Summer is warm and winters are mild. Because Uruguay is located in the southern hemisphere, January is the warmest and June, at 5 to 10 ° Celsius, the coldest month.
Exemplary welfare state
Montevideo is the capital of Uruguay and is considered one of the safest cities in South America. About half of the country's population lives here, and the president also has his official residence here. He is directly elected and is head of state and head of government at the same time.
At the beginning of the 19th century, Uruguay achieved prosperity through its cattle breeding. The health and education system was expanded with the money. In the second half of the last century, however, the economy fared worse. The gap between rich and poor widened and the once well-functioning welfare state faced new challenges. In recent years, however, the country has recovered: poverty and unemployment decreased and the economy grew.
Thousands of years ago people lived in what is now Uruguay. The Spaniards reached Uruguay around 1516 and founded a colony there in 1624. In the period that followed, there were repeated battles with the Portuguese, later also with Argentina and Brazil, who all wanted the country to themselves. During the colonial era, African slaves had to work in South American countries such as Uruguay. Part of the population is therefore of African and European origin. After 150 years under the rule of the Spaniards, Portuguese and Brazilians, Uruguay gained independence in 1830. In the years that followed, calm returned to the country only sporadically: the democratic conditions were repeatedly interrupted by dictatorships and military governments.
Livestock, rice and the beach
The economic center of Uruguay is the capital Montevideo. Around half of the industrial and commercial enterprises are gathered in the port city. Most of the rest of the land is used for agriculture. Large herds of cattle, sheep and horses graze on the grasslands, the pampas. Fishing and the sale of rice and soy are also important sources of income. The country is also popular with holidaymakers, many of whom come from neighboring Argentina. The beautiful sandy beaches at the mouth of the Rio de la Plata are a popular travel destination. The seaside resort of Punta del Este is the main attraction for rich people. Events such as fashion shows, sailing regattas and sporting events provide entertainment there in the summer months.
Rodeo and soccer
The majority of the population is of Catholic faith. Children from 6 to 12 years of age go to primary school and then receive further education up to the age of 15. If you have a good exam, you can then take a degree comparable to the Abitur in order to study at a university. Both school and university are free of charge. Christmas is called "Family Day" in Uruguay. Easter and Carnival are also celebrated in a big way. The rodeo week “Semana Criolla” is a special festival. Here riders show what they can do. Football is the most popular sport in Uruguay. In 1930 and 1950 the country was soccer world champion.
- Why does God love us
- Which app is good for making music
- What are the famous dishes in Bali
- Are boarding schools harmful to children
- Snobby people know they are snobby
- How can freshmen apply for jobs
- How and when do kaengurus sleep
- Conditional love is real love
- Which are the most unfriendly countries out there
- America is a divided nation
- Are politicians paid
- What makes a film entertaining
- What is the staple food of Thailand
- There are no real gamer dating sites
- Is Elizabeth Holmes in jail
- Have you ever kissed someone
- In India, how many taxpayers are there
- Boys get horny while touching girls
- What makes an inspiring person
- How many gods are there
- Firing companies shy people
- What are the causes of bad debt
- What determines the success or prosperity of a country
- How did you start your company
- Women like the smell of semen
- How can I take care of my child
- What is the job of a spy
- How is Fortnite addicting?
- Where are fishing rods made
- Why are Tamil girls so beautiful
- Why is technology critical to our civilization
- What's the strangest kiss you've ever had
- What causes numb lips and fingers
- How can I become the best programmer