What do crocodiles eat
You can tell crocodiles from alligators by their teeth. In the alligator, the teeth are not clearly visible when the mouth is closed, while in a crocodile almost all teeth can be seen even when the mual is closed: you can see the upper and lower teeth. It looks a bit like the crocodile is grinning.
Crocodiles eat a lot of animals. They mainly catch their prey on and in the water. They feed on fish, turtles, mammals and birds. Large crocodiles also catch large mammals. To do this, they usually wait in the water until animals come to the edge of the water, then snap and pull the prey into the water. There the prey drowns and can be eaten. Crocodiles also eat carrion (animals found dead).
When the female crocodiles mate, they dig a hole in the ground. There they lay up to 50 eggs, which they carefully arrange in two to three layers. This is where the sun and the warmth of the environment incubate the eggs. Crocodiles look angry, but the female crocodiles take good care of their young. They take care that nobody disturbs the nest. When the young have hatched (the female often helps and cracks the eggshells a little), the mother crocodile leads her young to the water like a mother duck. In the first months of life, the young usually stay close to the mother for protection. They also swim after their mother. When danger threatens, the mother takes the young in her mouth and brings them to safety.
There are different species of crocodiles. The best known is the Nile crocodile from Africa. It becomes up to 7 m long.
Nile crocodiles used to live all over Africa, as well as Madagascar and as far as Palestine. Today they have already been wiped out in some areas.
Crocodiles get very old.
c 2001; Text and images may only be used by children for educational purposes; any business (commercial) use is not permitted.
Texts and images of the "Kinder-Tierlexikon" are only allowed to be used by children for learning and educational purposes. No commercial use is allowed.
No part of the "Tierlexikon" may be reproduced.
Last update of this page: August 20, 2015
The children's animal lexicon www.kinder-tierlexikon.de has been since March 2001 times visited.
Page of Dr. Vollrath Wiese, House of Nature - Cismar / Neukirchen primary school
- Where can I get international travel vaccinations
- How do you manage to set up a consulting company
- Who is the Best Nutrition Advisor in Hyderabad
- Why does Backy look Chinese
- Is it hard to live with a disability
- Why is Thailand so hot
- What is your job today
- Why should guys pay for a date
- Coca Cola always tasted the same
- Rich people care about retirement plans
- How do you clean the yellow color of white shirts?
- How do I reduce my stuttering
- Zerodha is a reliable stockbroker
- What causes a loose vagina
- Who has more power prosecutors or judges
- Is there an advertising network for children only
- Infosys employees will be laid off
- How much does HR Bullshit cost
- Which countries offer national health services?
- How does an introvert become a human
- Why does my dog eat his ticks
- Why do Tampa restaurants enforce valet parking
- Has European colonialism benefited Europe?
- Why are CEOs fired