Why is Lolita such an important book
Finally, finally finished a book. Or two. And because they also fit together thematically (with a lot of imagination), I can put them into a blog entry right away. Very good. It's also really good that I got two new books yesterday. Spring Awakening by Frank Wedekind and Nothing by Janne Teller.
But first to the selected books. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. In the BILD issue "Scandal - The Most Exciting Books of All Time". I don't know whether it is because the edition is from BILD or whether BILD simply used an incredibly bad version of the book. In any case, I found reading this book very exhausting and annoying. What wasn't the content. Definitely not. I think I like Nabokov. The epilogue said that at the beginning no publisher wanted to publish the book because it would be far too provocative and perverse and what do I know. But - although the topic of sexuality always hovers above everything, there are no real descriptions of the sexual relationship between Lolita and Humbert Humbert in the book. And I think then I probably like Nabokov's writing style, which does not explicitly describe anything, but in which you can think a lot. It is also interesting how you can use the notes to see the differences between the English and Russian versions of this book. And while we're on the remarks - these are the annoyance that made reading so difficult for me. Always scrolling forwards and backwards - annoying. Comments that are labeled with the wrong page number (and not just once, but very often) - annoying. French passages that have not been translated - annoying. I would have preferred to have footnotes on the same page. That was a bit of a shame overall. But I blame it all on the lousy issue and somehow I already like Mr. Nabokov and give 4 out of 5 points and end this section about Lolita with a quote:
"We have thrown all the ballast of inconsequential subjects overboard, with which the young girls traditionally had to struggle and which in earlier days left no time for the knowledge and skills and attitudes that they will need for their lives and how a cynic might add - coping with her husband's. Mr. Humberson, let's put it this way: the position of a star is important, but the most convenient location for the refrigerator in the kitchen is likely to be even more important to an expectant housewife. "
The second book that I have just finished reading is The Secret Diary of Carla Bruni by Silke Burmester. I noticed Ms. Burmester positively at Roche & Böhmermann (I've already written that, right?) And that's why I wanted to read her book. In addition, I now follow her on Twitter and she replied to one of my tweets, oh that's exciting and exciting. Accordingly, in a positive mood, I started reading your book and - I find it very irrelevant. And unfortunately I can't say whether that's the issue (Carla Bruni isn't really my top topic now) or the screaming style of Ms. Burmester. I hope the former. I also had to underline so many places in this book because they are just so terribly naive and stupid, that was no joy. (Layered nougat tastes good by the way. By the way)
- "It was just wonderful, I'm very much in love and I think we're together."
- "After dinner we drove to my place, yes, and this morning I made breakfast for my sweetheart. That felt really nice. Like a real woman, like someone from 'Lassie'. I mean. Not that bad at all. "
- "Finally I'm talking again. And finally, finally, not because of my marriage, my intelligence, eloquence or my music. But simply because of my appearance. Because of my beauty and my grace."
Yeah. Not really mine. Halfway okay as a short intermediate reading, but otherwise nothing that I would miss on my bookshelf. Unfortunately. 2 out of 5 points.
What will be read next remains to be seen. I can never make up my mind. And now all of a sudden there are so many unread books standing around here. Worse than at home.
- Nursing home means acute care
- How did companies survive hyperinflation in Germany
- What are the activities of our ancestors
- How do I decorate the balcony of my apartment
- A visa for Albania is required
- Will google report me for doing an illegal search
- Can ALS be reversed
- How to cook frozen duck confit
- Why are some adults afraid of babies
- Why did plural marriage become illegal?
- Which DSLR cameras offer the best zoom
- Can India change the currency value
- Will Muslims have Telugu surnames
- How can I learn more about building
- There's a big hole in Antarctica
- What are the basic meanings for life
- How much geometry is there in trigonometry
- What if you break your parole?
- What is your favorite expensive hobby
- What is the working principle of stabilizers
- Why do people have families
- The Mongols were overrated
- How safe is Delhi for tourists
- US citizenship loses its value