What are the main problems facing international travelers
born 1963, freelance journalist and book author.
Address: Organic news, Regensburger Str. 34,
e-mail: [email protected]
Publications including: Fully booked - Tourism Curse of Civilization, Stuttgart 2000; Contribution to nature tourism in: Voyage, yearbook for travel and tourism research, Cologne 2001; Wilderness Myth, Stuttgart 2001.
On the ecological, economic and social risks of international tourismTourism is increasing steadily. Today there is hardly a region that is not a tourist destination. Cross-border tourism is now considered the most important export industry in the world.
introductionTourism is not a new phenomenon of our time. People have been traveling for thousands of years. Yet there are crucial differences between modern tourism and yesterday's travel. On the one hand, more and more people are traveling faster, more often and further and further. On the other hand, the travelers of past centuries did not book their vacation with TUI, Neckermann or Rewe.
Modern tourism is a "big business" that is determined by a few large corporations. According to data from the World Monetary Fund (IMF), international tourism, with revenues of 504 billion US dollars, replaced the automotive industry as the world's largest export industry as early as 1998. According to the World Tourism Organization (WTO), the international travel business is "only the tip of an iceberg". In addition to the approximately 700 million cross-border travelers annually, there would be another 2.3 billion tourists who go on vacation in their own country. The WTO therefore estimates the total global income of the tourism industry at 1.7 trillion US dollars annually. 
Although the tourism companies - above all TUI (Preussag), meanwhile the largest travel group in the world - have been getting "greener" on paper since the nineties and using terms such as "ecotourism" or "environmentally friendly" and "gentle tourism" to advertise in reality hardly anything along these lines. Parallel to the inflation of lip service, three tourism trends that are dangerous for the environment and the social and economic situation in developing countries are on the rise.
- Can someone become a doctor after engineering
- Like young girls, buff boys
- What is the poverty rate in China?
- How did Islam spread in India?
- Women stare at the men's crotch
- What is my budget?
- Are seniors effectively prisoners in retirement homes?
- Is marriage a religious function
- Is Luna Lovegood a Maledictus
- Why does sciatica cause knee pain
- Time would help save relationships
- How does FedEx Ground work
- What drug test are they doing
- Does Canada have any billionaires
- Will the microwave of a living thing kill it?
- Greg Secker is a fraud
- What is a transit business
- I really flirt with everyone
- What is every MBTI type unsure about
- Can the neuropsychologist diagnose patients with schizophrenia
- What is body odor
- Long distance relationship ever stops
- How can believers protect themselves from inflation
- What will America be like in 2066
- Which is your favorite room
- Which beers are vegan
- Generally speaking, people in Botswana are happy
- How many feel happy after deleting UPSC
- Which degrees are required for hotel management
- What if we are extraterrestrials
- How is the tax structure in Bangladesh
- What were the characteristics of the Emperor Tiberius
- What is the best japanese restaurant