People usually shower twice a day
Skin care in corona times: "You can go wrong with a shower"
contentRead on one side
Our skin is the most versatile organ we have - and yet we often take too much care of it. In her practice in Uttenreuth, Bavaria, dermatologist Susanne Bühler-Singer treats the consequences of incorrect care and also sees what the pandemic is doing to our skin.
ZEITmagazin ONLINE: In the home office you think twice about whether it is worth taking a shower. Often laziness wins. Is this a problem?
Susanne Bühler-Singer: On the contrary, people tend to shower too much. Our skin is our protective shield, at the same time our sensory organ and responsible for temperature and moisture regulation. Showering every two days is enough. Those who shower every day damage their skin.
ZEITmagazin ONLINE: Why?
Bühler-Singer: Our skin has a protective acid mantle. To illustrate this, you can imagine the skin like a wall: the skin cells are the bricks and the intercellular substance is the mortar. If we rinse it out because we shower too often or incorrectly, the protective cover is attacked and it becomes dry. This allows germs to penetrate the skin, it becomes flaky and eczema can form. Substances that normally do not damage our skin can then irritate it - even the acidity of tomatoes or the starch of potatoes become a problem.Newsletter
SIGN UP HERE FOR FREE
Be there live online when our podcasts are created and meet your favorite hosts at the first ZEIT ONLINE podcast festival on Sunday, June 20, 2021.
With your registration you take note of the data protection regulations.
Many Thanks! We have sent you an email.
ZEITmagazin ONLINE: How do you proceed if you want to change your shower rhythm?
Bühler-Singer: If you have showered every day and don't want to do without the fresh feeling, you can simply replace a shower with cat wash and clean the areas where you sweat a lot.
ZEITmagazin ONLINE: How often should babies and children shower?
Bühler-Singer: In the first year of life, children hardly ever get dirty. A shower or a short bath once or twice a week is sufficient here, and from the age of one then once or three times a week.
ZEITmagazin ONLINE: And how does adult skin feel when you only shower every three or four days?
Bühler-Singer: For people with sensitive skin, such as allergy sufferers or neurodermatitis patients, twice a week is sufficient. However, if healthy skin is less cared for, bacteria and fungi that are naturally on the skin may multiply. In normal numbers they are not dangerous, but if they multiply too much, it can lead to redness in skin folds, for example on the stomach, in the genital area or in the armpits - that is, where you sweat a lot. Dandruff may then form on the scalp. But it's not just about frequency, there are many other things you can do wrong with showering or bathing.
ZEITmagazin ONLINE: In fact?
Bühler-Singer: For example, use water that is too hot. 25 to 30 degrees are ideal, as this opens the pores without irritating them. And you shouldn't shower for more than ten minutes, otherwise the protective acid mantle of the skin will also suffer.
- Why are parking spaces so expensive
- What does AM on time mean
- What changes in the generation gap
- When does low code become no code
- Is game development a well paying job
- Take smoking breaks at work to encourage smoking
- Are architects designers or not
- What are the characteristics of human society
- Why do guys hate chokers so much
- Is Virginia a red or blue state
- How common are yeast infections after pregnancy
- What do the Chinese think of Koreans?
- How did YOU go about your job search
- Can I start a business in Canada?
- Do Muslim women have sex before marriage
- What is a relationship status 1
- What are higher studies after an MBBS
- What is a nanny culture
- Which city in Hawaii is the friendliest
- Is China an autocratic country?
- What are the top Singapore ICOs
- Are cats afraid of dogs?
- CBD oil lowers blood pressure
- What is the best investment for retirees