Where is Tanzanian money made?
The average monthly per capita income in Tanzania is around 45 US dollars. This number only to illustrate how Saniniu Laizer should feel now. The man has 30 children and, like many compatriots, earns his living as a miner and gem seeker - and either he was a lot of luck or he is really very good at his job. Laizer has found the two largest tanzanite gemstones in the country's history. The forearm-sized crystals together weigh more than 14 kilograms and are worth $ 3.35 million.
That has to be celebrated, thinks the newly minted millionaire Laizer, and wants to throw a big party first. But he also wants to use his newly gained wealth - the government has already bought the crystals - for the long-term well-being of his country. "I want to build a shopping center and a school near my home," he quotes Guardian Laizer. "Lots of poor people around here can't afford to have their children go to school." He never went to school himself.
Tanzanite can only be found in this purity in a small area in northeastern Tanzania. It is a slightly blue shimmering type of the mineral zoisite. But because zoisite sounds similar to the English word for suicide, suicide, it was decided at the Tiffany jeweler to simply name the gemstone after its place of origin.
But back to the lucky finder. Not only was he allowed to show the giant crystals on Tanzanian television, he also received a call from President John Magufuli. The corona denier is increasingly ruling the country with a hard hand and evaluating the find as proof of the wealth of Tanzania. When it comes to raw material deposits such as precious stones, gold, ore or natural gas, he is certainly right. Only the theoretical wealth of the country hardly reaches many of its citizens. As a result of the corona pandemic, the important tourism sector has recently collapsed.
This makes mining all the more important for the country. So that gemstone and gold prospectors like Saniniu Laizer, who are not employed by one of the big companies, can more easily convert their finds into cash, the government recently set up centers where men can sell gold and crystals to the authorities. This is also intended to prevent illegal trade and smuggling.
- What is a Niyogi Brahmin
- What are the best Spanish breakfast recipes
- What is boring
- Secretly outsource your tasks
- What makes a startup a startup
- What are the best cheap Swedish dishes
- Which career as an automotive engineer pays off the most?
- How can I start a mafia family
- What is the worst school in Hawaii
- Which is the highest zodiac sign
- Who is this Japanese girl
- Protestants believe in saints
- Should I make my mistress pregnant
- What are sausages made of
- What are fictitious assets
- The Muslim religion comes from which religion
- Why do Russian women marry Indians
- Why are people so curious
- The moisturizer removes wrinkles
- What is the loudest bluetooth speaker
- Are the cats scratched in cat cafes
- How do you do remote IT management
- Did the Soviet Union really win World War II?
- What is centralized economy
- Where is the coldest place in Spain
- Which leftovers will benefit the most from warming up?
- Is yeast harmful or not
- Which book should every investor read?
- Can social media be hacked?
- What is your favorite porn site
- Can you explain why there are different currencies
- Why do people smell so bad
- When were marriages most often arranged?
- Where can I get insurance in Singapore