Which country has the poorest inhabitants?
Poor country on the southern edge of the Himalayas
The earthquake in Central Asia hit an already badly shaken people. With an annual per capita income of 692 US dollars (around 500 euros), Nepal is one of the 20 poorest countries in the world. At 65.9 years for men and 68.6 years for women, the Nepalese have the lowest life expectancy in Asia; almost half of the children are chronically malnourished.
Almost 31 million people live in the state on the southern edge of the Himalayas, which is somewhat larger than Greece at around 147,200 square kilometers. For seven years now, the population has been recovering from a ten-year civil war that has severely affected the country. In 2008, a constituent assembly in the capital Kathmandu made Nepal a republic, ending the Hindu monarchy that had existed for 240 years.
Dependence on tourism
Tourism is an important economic factor. In addition to Kathmandu with its world cultural heritage sites, the high mountain landscape on the border with Tibet attracts holidaymakers. The most recent figures are from 2012, when around 800,000 tourists visited the country. One of the most popular trekking routes is the way to Mount Everest, on which at least 18 people were killed in the earthquake on Saturday and an avalanche triggered by it.
Danger of earthquakes in the Himalayas
Like the entire Himalayan region, Nepal is extremely prone to earthquakes. The quakes occur when clods of rock in the deeper area of the earth's crust shift jerkily. In the Himalayas, the Indian plate pushes against Afghanistan and Tibet on the Eurasian plate from the south. This is why the earth frequently shakes at the interface from Pakistan to Nepal and Myanmar.
Help for Nepal starts
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) now wants to quickly evaluate the country's financial needs. A team of experts could travel to Nepal to help the government assess the macroeconomic situation and its financial needs, said IMF chief Christine Lagarde in Washington. The IMF is coordinating with the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank and other organizations to assess the impact of the disaster and determine how best to help. The USA and the EU, China and Russia also pledged support.
- Where is the Walmart Employee Policy
- Banks become suspicious of cash deposits
- How to hack PUBG Mobile 1
- Could a utopian economy be sustainable
- How crazy is Bangkok
- What is Richardson TX known for
- What is the use of service housing
- How does PWC perform a background check
- Moors are black
- The LDS Church is viewed as Christian
- What is it like to live on a houseboat
- What is the best age of a man
- What is the healthiest breakfast
- Will freeze cooking oil
- Why do some Malaysians look like Arabs?
- How much do family lawyers make
- Are tattoos considered haram in Islam?
- Why do many Chinese follow blind nationalism?
- What is your favorite painting in Vietnam
- What is a simple definition of unemployment
- What are the famous Balinese fish dishes
- What are some examples of short speeches
- Is haircut is mandatory in the merchant marine
- How is the war going in Ukraine