What are the different UK work visas

The UK's Points-Based Immigration System: An Introduction for EU, EEA and Swiss Citizens


The United Kingdom left the European Union on January 31, 2020.

If you were not resident in the UK before December 31, 2020 and do not have any rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, you must meet certain requirements in order to be able to work or study in the UK from January 1, 2021. You will also need to pass the appropriate reviews, including a UK criminal liability review. You can also stay in the UK for up to 6 months without applying for a visa and take part in a variety of activities, such as: B. Tourism, visiting family and friends, short-term studies, and business-related activities such as B. Events and Conferences. The full list of permitted activities for visitors can be found on GOV.UK.

The status of Irish citizens remains protected under the Common Travel Area regulations. Therefore, Irish citizens do not need permission to come to the UK (except in a very limited number of cases) and are therefore not eligible to apply under the new points-based immigration system.

EU Settlement Scheme

If you resided in the UK by December 31, 2020, you and your family should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after June 30, 2021. The deadline for the application is June 30, 2021.

Application via the points-based immigration system

If you are eligible, you should start your application at GOV.UK. You must prove that you meet the relevant criteria and achieve the required number of points for the visa applied for. Detailed instructions for each route can be found on GOV.UK.

As part of the application, you will need to provide proof of your identity. Most people can do this with a smartphone using the UK Immigration: ID Check app as part of the online application. Those who cannot use the UK Immigration: ID Check app must go to a Visa Application Center. More information about the application process can be found on GOV.UK.

You will have to pay an application fee and if you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months you may have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge which gives you access to the UK National Health Service (NHS).

Application processing times vary depending on the visa you are applying for and the service available. You must submit an application and receive confirmation that it has been approved before traveling to the UK.

Working in the UK

Skilled worker visa

In order to be eligible for the specialist path, you must provide evidence of:

  • You have a job offer from a home office licensed sponsor at the required qualification level
  • You will be paid by your sponsor with the appropriate minimum salary (usually £ 25,600 or the usual rate for the specific position, whichever is higher)
  • You can speak English at intermediate level B1 of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)

Apply for a skilled worker visa on GOV.UK.

Technical work: Health and Care visa

If you work in a qualified health care profession and have a job offer from the NHS, the social care sector, or from employers and organizations that provide services to the NHS, speak English, and meet the Professional Pathway requirements, you can apply for the Health and Care Visa, to come to the UK with your family.

There is a fast track entry, with reduced application fees and dedicated support through the application process. If you are eligible to apply for the Health and Nursing Visa, you are also exempt from paying the Immigrant Sickness Allowance. Frontline health and welfare workers who are not eligible to apply for the Health and Care Visa will have to pay the Immigrant Sickness Allowance and could benefit from a reimbursement plan that gives them a refund.

Apply for a health and care visa on GOV.UK.

International Talent (Global Talent)

The “International Talent” visa allows the most highly qualified people to come to the UK with no job offer. This visa is for recognized leaders and the leaders of tomorrow in the fields of science, humanities, engineering, art (including film, fashion design and architecture) and digital technology, taking the unique skills of individuals into the knowledge, economy and society in the United Enrich kingdom. Top scientists and researchers benefit from a faster recognition process as part of a fast-track MINT program.

Apply for an “International Talent” visa at GOV.UK.

Alternative ways for a work visa and specialty professions

There are a number of other visa routes for work in the UK such as: B. the visa for start-ups and innovators (start-up and innovator). There are also visa routes for other specialized professions, including pastors, athletes and artists.

Study in the UK

Student route

To be eligible for the student path, you must provide evidence of the following:

  • You have been offered a place in a course by a home office-licensed student sponsor
  • You can speak, read, write and understand English
  • You have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course
  • You really intend to study in the UK

For children aged 4-17 who wish to study in an independent school, there is a separate Child Student route.

Apply for a student visa on GOV.UK.

Graduate visa

If you have successfully completed an undergraduate degree or higher in the UK, you can apply for a graduate student visa to stay and work or look for work for a maximum of 2 years (3 years for PhD students) after completing your studies .

The graduate visa will open to international students in the summer of 2021 sponsored by a Home Office licensed student sponsor who has a track record of complying with the UK Government's immigration regulations.