Has anyone ever married a family member?
“When will you finally get married?” - 25 disarmingly good answers
We all know it, the dreaded question from great aunts and old school friends: "So when will you finally get married?"
And we know just as well the trouble when we come up with the quick-witted answer the next day. So that this doesn't happen to you anymore, we have collected suitable counterattacks for you - so you can escape the interrogations about your love life at family reunions and Christmas parties!
Of course, it always depends on who asks and how, and how you are feeling right now. Whether the person is genuinely interested, curious, or provocative, you are the best judge of who deserves which answer.
The sheer truth
Good friends or close family members also ask about our love life. Mostly because we are important to them and they want us to be well. In such a case, an honest answer is often best - if you want to talk about it, do it.
- I am currently focusing on my career / other aspects of my life.
- I just don't have time for a relationship right now.
- I haven't met the right one yet.
- Getting married is not important to me.
- I'm picky!
The handle in the joke box
Of course, if you don't feel like discussing your private life with others, that's perfectly fine. Try an answer that will make your counterpart laugh!
- Why are you proposing to me?
- Because Ryan Gosling is already taken.
- We'd love to, but my lover's wife refuses.
- Thanks for asking - my cats and I are very happy.
- Oh, don't you wanna find someone for me I'm looking for a man who can read me poems in fluent Chinese and French, who loves to talk about his feelings, who wants to go shopping with me on the weekend and can cook excellent creme brulee. (The more unrealistic your requirements, the better!)
The diversionary maneuver
Another common scenario: Your interlocutor asks the dreaded question because he / she doesn't know what to talk about or because he / she would like to tell you about HIS / HER perfect life. The best way to avoid such situations is to start a distracting counter-maneuver: counter-questions!
- What an interesting question! Why did you get married
- Who should I marry?
- Why do you ask?
- Who knows. But tell me about your family!
- Oh you! (Just laugh and change the subject.)
The self-confident counterattack
The question of relationships or weddings can also be daunting - who says we need a partner to be happy? Yes, even as a single you can be happy! And because that is almost unbelievable for some people, it's safe to remind them of it.
- My independence is too important to me.
- Thank you for recognizing my high standards.
- I'm having so much fun right now that I can't worry about dating or getting married.
- When it happens, it happens, but I'm so very happy too.
- Only I am responsible for my happiness - and I am very happy with myself.
The vicious counterattack
Questions about our private life are often annoying, stressful or even painful. If you want to make it clear to your counterpart that you have heard this question often enough, then try one of these answers. Warning - the person you are talking to could get a little angry!
- Because I just can't get enough of this question.
- I guess I'm just lucky!
- If it happens, you'll be the first to know.
- And when will you finally get your master's degree in biology?
- Oh, didn't I invite you to the wedding? I will definitely invite you to my divorce!
The next time your great-aunt closes you in a scented hug, picks you on the cheek and starts her interrogation, you'll know how to fight back.
And how do you react to such horror questions?
- How do I get CNA
- In which countries do parents not beat children?
- What is a Java Skill
- How do I understand monogamous relationships
- We can’t know anything
- Can worker crimes exist
- What is a new post in handrails
- Disciplines your kids beating them actually
- Why are the police not investigating reports
- How does a teacher teach English
- What are your ideas for disciplining children
- Most of the left are left with their left foot
- Why do people take online harassment seriously
- Is Ned Stark a fool
- How do you read music
- Can India increase its oil production?
- What types of different companies are there
- What is the purple pill
- Karvy is good company
- Used car dealers are a profitable investment
- Recognize God gay marriage
- What does Tudor really mean
- Do aliens really exist
- What are the best magic shows