What are some cultural taboos in Latvia
Is it considered bad to eat in public (on a bench) in Latvia?
Recently I was yelled at by a stranger (middle aged man) while eating pizza that I bought in a cheap restaurant (and chose to take away) and sat on a bench in Riga. He just said something to me as he passed in front of me, which I ignored as I didn't understand Latvian or Russian, but then in a few seconds he looked back and said something to me again.
It was clear that he was telling me something about my pizza because of his gesture (he used a wave of his hand to eat pizza). He didn't stop walking and just said something to me as he walked. I don't think he was on a positive note.
So I wonder if it is considered bad to eat in public places in Latvia, for example on a bench or in a park.
I found an interesting answer on Quora to a question entitled "What are some cultural taboos in Latvia?" ::
- Another cultural taboo is disrespect for food. If you throw bread and other items around while eating, expect to be cursed at by a worried Latvian.
Is it socially acceptable or inappropriate to eat pizza in public places in Latvia?
There is no such taboo in Europe. People routinely eat on the street, in cars, on buses, and in other “non-standard” places. In fact, there is a popular saying in Slavic countries about avoiding throwing bread away, but it does not apply to your scenario and is not really relevant in modern times when there is plenty to eat. So enjoy your pizza anywhere and without hesitation.
Source: Travel to the Baltic countries.
- How do I track sleep with Fitbit
- Can India change the currency value
- What is centralized economy
- How can social inequality be reduced?
- How Can Nurses Make Extra Money?
- What is the Tantric Siddha tradition
- When do you want to be alone
- How many shops are there on Taobao?
- Being humble is a bad thing
- What do you think of Colombia
- Will our world make it by 2020?
- What are vegetarian carbohydrate free foods
- Narcissists regret divorce
- How construction management is helpful
- Elderly people resist change in general
- Would you move out of love
- The laws of physics have always existed
- What makes you a true Southerner?
- Are Indians welcome in the Cayman Islands
- Why are actuaries paid well
- How does a cyclone come about
- What are some examples of intrusive thoughts
- What percentage of gay couples raise children?
- Why does God love us