What are the best blackout curtains
Blackout curtain: tests & recommendations (05/21)
Welcome to our large blackout curtain test 2021. Here we present you all the blackout curtains that we have tested in more detail. We have compiled detailed background information for you and also added a summary of customer reviews on the web.
We want to make the purchase decision easier for you and help you to find the blackout curtain that is best for you.
You can also find answers to frequently asked questions in our guide. You will also find some important information on this page that you should definitely pay attention to if you want to buy blackout curtains.
the essentials in brief
- With the help of blackout curtains, you can sleep undisturbed late in the morning and during the day. The opaque curtains also protect the room from direct sunlight and offer privacy.
- Depending on which window you want to attach the curtain to, you can either choose a normal blackout curtain or a model with suction cups. Blackout curtains with suction cups are not only useful for sloping windows, but also when you are out and about.
- Since blackout curtains are simply made of a denser, multi-layered material compared to normal curtains, you can sew them yourself and usually wash them in the washing machine. However, be sure to pay attention to the manufacturer's instructions.
Blackout curtain test: editors' favorites
The best all-round blackout curtain
The Deconovo blackout curtain is hung directly on the curtain rod using sewn-in metal eyelets - you don't have to buy any additional accessories. The fabric consists of three layers, with the middle black layer absorbing the light to the maximum. The curtain is easy to care for and can be washed in the washing machine and then ironed.
If you are looking for a true all-round blackout curtain, the Deconovo blackout curtain is ideal for you: it darkens, protects against heat, minimizes outside noise and ensures privacy. You can use it in any room and, depending on the furnishing style, buy it in one of twenty beautifully decorative colors.
The best heat insulating blackout curtain
The blackout curtain from AmazonBasics not only impresses with its low price of less than € 20, but especially with its thermal insulation. Thanks to the three-layer fabric, it protects against both heat in summer and cold in winter. In addition, it is supplied with beautiful tiebacks, which means that it can be used decoratively in the living room or dining room.
A heat-insulating blackout curtain can help you save on heating bills. Especially in winter, the heating air escapes less quickly through leaky windows due to the curtain. But even if your apartment heats up very quickly in summer, this blackout curtain is suitable for you. Because it blocks sunlight, your room will keep a comfortable room temperature even at high temperatures.
The most practical blackout curtain for on the go
With the help of the Gro Anywhere blackout curtain for on the go, you can turn any room into a comfortable place to sleep. The opaque curtain can be attached to any window with its suction cups. In addition, it weighs only 740 g and comes in a practical carrying bag so that you can easily take it with you on the go.
This blackout curtain is ideal for your next trip or visiting relatives. It's the perfect addition to your travel accessories, but doesn't take up much space. At your destination, you will notice that a dark bedroom ensures a deeper sleep not only for you, but also for your children.
The best blackout curtain for skylights
The Purovi sun protection for roof windows consists of a dense, opaque material and a reflective outer coating. This protects the room from solar radiation and harmful UV rays. It is attached using suction cups so that no drilling or gluing is necessary. In addition, the sun protection can be easily removed from the window on shady days.
If you are looking for particularly effective thermal protection for your attic apartment, this sun protection is ideal for you. It noticeably reduces the indoor climate and is also easy to attach. At the same time, it offers you privacy and darkens the room.
Purchase and evaluation criteria for blackout curtains
In the following we would like to show you which factors you can use to compare and evaluate blackout curtains. This will make it easier for you to decide whether a particular blackout curtain is right for you or not.
In summary, these are:
In the following we explain to you what exactly these individual criteria mean.
To find out what dimensions the blackout curtain should have, you have to correctly measure and calculate your window. You can calculate the width of the curtain as follows:
Curtain width = width of the window * gathering (1.5 - 3 times)
You should also add 10-20 cm on each side so that there is no gap between the wall and the curtain. This is how you achieve the maximum darkening effect.
It is best to measure the curtain length to the right, left and in the middle of the curtain, as this can lead to different results. Then select the smallest value as the length.
There are a few things to consider when choosing the right material for your blackout curtain. The following tips can help you choose the right material:
- Make sure that the material is made up of three layers. The middle layer of blackout curtains is black and absorbs the light. You can choose any color on the outside.
- A firm fabric is important for the opacity of the curtain. Even materials with just one layer are so opaque.
- The curtain should also be flame retardant for safety reasons.
- An extra coating of the curtain can help to repel heat and thus keep the room pleasantly warm or cold, depending on the season.
You can choose between different darkening effects in stores. Some curtains darken the room 100%, others e.g. only 90%.
If you want to use the curtain overnight, a 90 or 95% darkening is a good idea, because this way some light comes into the room in the morning and you wake up easier.
For a particularly strong darkening effect, the curtain should consist of three layers. The outer layers are in a color of your choice, the inner, invisible layer is black and absorbs the light.
Many manufacturers point out that the color of the curtain affects the darkening effect. Depending on the material, lighter fabrics darken the room much less than darker fabrics. When choosing the color, follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Light curtain colors are generally suitable for small rooms. This makes the room look bigger and friendlier. In large rooms, on the other hand, darker colors can add a nice accent. You should therefore use dark colors, especially in large bedrooms where a strong darkening effect is desired.
Blackout curtains can be attached to a curtain rod in different ways. With the help of hooks or rings, they can be hung on the curtain rod, for example. There may be additional costs because the hooks or rings are not always included in the package when you buy.
|Blackout curtains with hooks||Attachment to the curtain rod using additional hooks or rings|
|Blackout curtains with eyelets||The eyelets or loops are sewn directly onto the curtain|
In the case of blackout curtains with eyelets, these are sewn directly into the curtain fabric. So you don't need any extra accessories, you can hang up the curtain directly. There are also models that have loops attached to the top of the curtain instead of metal eyelets. If you already know before you buy that you will be sliding the curtain back and forth a lot, you should make sure that the loops slide smoothly on the curtain rod.
Buying Guide: Questions to Consider Before Buying a Blackout Curtain
What is a blackout curtain?
In addition to its functionality as a blackout curtain, it can also be used as a beautiful design element. Blackout curtains no longer have to be dark and heavy as they used to be, but can now also be purchased from lighter fabrics and in different patterns.
Who are blackout curtains for?
- heat protection
This makes the blackout curtain ideal for people who work at night. Especially if there are no built-in shutters, the blackout curtain can still be used to sleep undisturbed during the day.
It is also suitable for the children's room: so the little ones fall asleep quickly even at lunchtime. For the children's room, there are also blackout curtains with a particularly beautiful design, such as detailed cut-out patterns.
In winter, the blackout curtain ensures that the heating air stays in the room and does not escape through leaky windows. But even in summer, the blackout curtain helps you to keep a comfortable room temperature. If the curtains are drawn in the morning, they protect against direct sunlight.
What types of blackout curtains are there?
- Blackout curtain for normal windows
- Blackout curtain with suction cups
Depending on which type of window the blackout curtain is to be attached to, either a normal blackout curtain or a model with suction cups is suitable. In the following we give you an overview of the exact advantages and disadvantages of the two types of curtains.
Blackout curtains for normal windows
When we talk about normal windows in the following, we mean anything that is not a sloping or skylight window. Whether your window is floor-length, vertical or horizontal, first of all plays a role. It should only be installed in a straight wall without a slope.
Blackout curtains for normal windows look like normal, long curtains, but are made of an opaque material.
There are a wide variety of regular blackout curtains available both online and in stores. Regardless of the color of your walls or the pattern of your bed linen, you will find a visually matching blackout curtain.
You can also choose between different mounting options for blackout curtains for normal windows: They can be attached to the curtain rod using eyelets, loops or hooks.
Such normal blackout curtains are not suitable for sloping windows. In this case, they would not be in direct contact with the window and there would be gaps, which would allow light to enter the room. In addition, the normal blackout curtains have to be laboriously cleaned.
- Large selection
- Various mounting options
- Can be designed individually
- Cannot be used for sloping windows
- Time-consuming cleaning
- Cannot be taken on the move
Depending on the model, you can either put them in the washing machine or take them to the dry cleaner. Since the curtains are large and heavy, they cannot be taken with you on the go.
Blackout curtains with suction cups
Blackout curtains with suction cups are attached directly to the window frame without drilling. When attaching, make sure the suction cups and window are clean. Since they can also be used when traveling, many manufacturers use a smudge-proof fabric that can be cleaned quickly.
You can use blackout curtains with suction cups to do the following:
- Normal windows
- Skylights / sloping windows
- On the way / traveling
This makes them the real all-round talent under blackout curtains. Buying a blackout curtain with suction cups is particularly worthwhile for families with children. You can not only use it for a nap at home, but also take it with you to relatives or to a vacation home.
- Attachment without drilling
- Quick cleaning
- Versatile use
- Less design options
- No complete blackout
- Not decorative
Unlike regular blackout curtains, there is less choice of blackout curtains with suction cups. They often come in a single color, in dark tones and are therefore less decorative. In addition, you can only achieve complete blackout with a model that is exactly the right one for your window.
Since manufacturer specifications are not always accurate, you may have to try out a few curtains until you find the perfect dimensions for your window.
What do blackout curtains cost?
|Type of blackout curtain||price|
|Blackout curtains for normal windows||from 25 €|
|Blackout curtains with suction cups||from 30 €|
Keep in mind that you will usually need two pieces per window, especially with normal blackout curtains. In addition, depending on the type of fastening, there are also costs for curtain rods, eyelets and hooks.
Where can I buy blackout curtains?
In some furniture stores, custom-made products are also possible. For this you simply select a type of curtain and your desired material and enter the dimensions of the window.
Blackout curtains are also available online. Here you will find a large selection of sizes, colors and patterns. Make sure to measure your windows carefully beforehand. Popular online shops for blackout curtains include:
What alternative is there to blackout curtains?
In the bathroom, on the other hand, privacy films can also be attached for the window.
These only slightly darken the room, but ensure privacy, as the room can no longer be seen from the outside.
A blackout blind has a better climate balance than a blackout curtain because it protects the room better from direct sunlight. Since most blackout blinds are made of water-repellent material, they can also be easily wiped off with a cloth. They are also barely visible during the day, as they disappear in the box at the top of the window.
- Better carbon footprint
- Easy cleaning
- Barely visible during the day
- Difficult to customize
- Less blackout effect
- No soundproofing
However, blackout blinds are difficult to adjust individually. You need to know the exact dimensions of your window to rule out a bad buy. If the roller blind does not fit into the frame, you cannot adjust it like a curtain with a needle and thread.
In addition, roller blinds darken less than curtains, as the blackout blind and window frame are often not flush. In addition, a roller blind does not offer any soundproofing.
How are blackout curtains washed?
Wash blackout curtains in the washing machine
- Remove all curtain fasteners before washing. Curtains that have sewn-in metal eyelets can be tucked into a laundry bag to prevent them from damaging the washing machine.
- The curtains are then washed at 30 - 40 degrees with mild detergent. They should only be spun briefly after the wash cycle. It is therefore best to turn off the spin function beforehand.
- After the short spin, the curtains are air-dried. Due to the special material and possible coatings, they must not be put in the dryer.
- Ironing is not possible with all blackout curtains. Pay attention to the care instructions regarding the setting of the iron.
What accessories do I need for blackout curtains?
Accessories for normal blackout curtains
- Curtain rod
- Hooks and rings (if no eyelets or loops are sewn in)
- possibly tiebacks to tie together during the day
Accessories for blackout curtains with suction cups
- Suction cups (if not included)
- Disinfectant wipes for cleaning the window before attaching the curtain
- Scissors for cutting
Can I sew blackout curtains myself?
In contrast to light curtains, you choose a heavy, dense fabric for the blackout curtain. This makes sewing easier because the fabric does not wrinkle and slip less.
Image source: 123rf / 33861148
Why can you trust me
- What are good coding challenges websites
- What turns Indian men on
- How good is it to join Altimetrik
- All the advantages of cleaning our house
- How has Hinduism changed over time?
- Hotels need to check your ID
- Can I start a business in Canada?
- How can I be placed in Egypt
- What is a chair
- How can India become a superpower
- What helps the youth to trust
- Is education good or bad for students
- Is a voting ID proof of citizenship
- What is direct and indirect government intervention
- How should parents and teachers get along?
- Are there still Jim Crow laws
- What tastes better than sweets?
- Support mainland Chinese people in Taiwan's status quo
- What are human responsibilities to the earth
- Koreans look down on the Vietnamese
- What are the uses of modern computers
- What are the signs of abandonment trauma
- What are the Symptoms of PTSD
- How far is Bali from Singapore
- Did Charles Dickens ever meet Queen Victoria?
- Why are people still stealing cars
- Why did cats always look unimpressed
- May Puerto Rican girls Filipino men
- What do you admire the least about people?
- How do you like getting older
- What is a new post in handrails
- What is an anarchist society
- Is Donald Trump secretly gay
- Why do people grope