Can I get American citizenship

Requirements for naturalization

How to get U.S. - Becomes a citizen

The process of obtaining US citizenship is called "naturalization". To apply for the naturalization process, the following requirements should be met:

  • You have lived in the USA for at least five years with "permanent resident" status (Green Card) or have been married and cohabiting with a US citizen for at least three years in the USA.
  • You have lived in the United States for at least 30 months in the past five years. 18 months or more in the past three years if you are married to a U.S. citizen.
  • You lived in the same state or USCIS district for three months or more prior to applying for the naturalization process.

If any of the following apply to you, you may need to undergo a different process:

  • You, your spouse, child, or deceased parent served in the U.S. Army.
  • They are "U.S. national". You or your parents were born on former American land (see “US national” on this topic).
  • They obtained right of residence under the Amnesty Act of 1986.
  • You are a refugee or an asylum seeker.
  • You are married to a U.S. citizen who is frequently stationed overseas.
  • You lost your U.S. citizenship under a previous law by marrying a non-U.S. Citizen.
  • You are employed by a certain type of company or non-profit organization.

Click here for more information on How do I get the US Passport?

Requirements for naturalization

The basic requirements of the naturalization process are:

1. You have been living as a "permanent resident" (Green Card holder) for a certain continuous period of time in the USA (see on this topic "Continuous Residence").

2. You were also present in the USA for a specified period of time (see on this topic "Physical Presence").

3. You have been in the same state or USCIS district for a period of time (see “Time in State or USCIS District” for this topic).

4. You uphold and respect the laws of the United States and reflect this through your behavior (see “Good Moral Character” on this topic).

5. You speak English and know about US history and government (see on this topic "English and Civics").

6. You understand the US Constitution and recognize it (see on this point "Attachment to the Constitution").

Information on naturalization

For people aged 18 and over, we recommend the manual number M-476, A Guide to Naturalization. This guide contains important information about the provisions of the naturalization process. She also refers you to the documents you need to start the naturalization process.

To find out if you qualify for a naturalization process, please read Letter No. M-480, Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet, which is attached to the A Guide to Naturalization. You can apply for naturalization using form N-400. There is a fee associated with this.

To obtain the M-476, M-480, and N-400 documents, visit or call USCIS Documents at 1-800-870-3676.