What are some social problems in Singapore
Prosperity Poverty: Growing Social Disparities in Singapore
Poverty in a state of wealth: social disparities in the city-state of Singapore
"The following article shows, based on the current social and economic situation, important aspects of social inequality in Singapore and discusses the worsening income disparities against the background of the insufficiently developed welfare state ... more
"The following article shows, based on the current social and economic situation, important aspects of social inequality in Singapore and discusses the worsening income disparities against the background of insufficiently developed welfare state structures. The argument is guided by the thesis that The lack of or only inadequate social support contribute significantly to the social problems of a growing part of the population in the city-state, which is characterized by great prosperity, and the expansion of welfare state structures are a prerequisite for both solving the current social problems and for a long overdue democratization of Singapore. " (Author's presentation) ... less
"Singapore is the wealthiest nation in South-East Asia today. But behind its high-rise buildings and modern shopping malls rising social disparities and a growing number of poor households cast a shadow on an otherwise successful economic development. Shrinking incomes and rising prices for housing ... more
"Singapore is the wealthiest nation in South-East Asia today. But behind its high-rise buildings and modern shopping malls rising social disparities and a growing number of poor households cast a shadow on an otherwise successful economic development. Shrinking incomes and rising prices for housing and energy have increased the number of those who are struggling life in one of the most expensive cities in Pacific Asia. The situation is further complicated by a just rudimentary social security system that is not adequately designed for the needs of poor households. The following paper gives a brief insight into the current state of economic and social development in Singapore and its impact on the social fabric of the Singapore society. The lack of an adequately structured social security system for those households and the lower end of the income strata in general contribute most to the rising social disparities is what characterizes Singapore's social development today. " (author's abstract) ... less
Singapore; South East Asia; social inequality; Income gap; Poverty; Wealth; Inequality; Social policy; social problem; social support; Solve problem; Asia; Developing country
Developing country sociology, development sociology
General sociology, macro-sociology, special theories and schools, development and history of sociology
application-oriented; descriptive study
Year of publication
ASEAS - Austrian Journal of South-East Asian Studies, 1 (2008) 2
Release version; appraised (peer reviewed)
Deposit License - No Redistribution, No Processing
- What is a female owl named 1
- How is life in the power supply unit according to GATE
- What obstacles can we overcome
- Why did Littlefinger help Sansa
- What is Halala in Quran
- Elect Michael Lee Donald Trump
- Do people in Brazil speak English 1
- Top 25 digital agencies from Singapore
- Likes Trump's family Donald Trump
- What medical benefits do veterans receive
- Every woman has vaginal odor
- What is the Chinese word for how?
- Is it unhealthy to eat wheat bread every day?
- Why is China called China
- Why should guys pay for a date
- What is Liberia's relationship with the US
- How was vegetarianism introduced in India
- How much vacation has President Obama taken
- Are there rivers in Mongolia?
- What was Trump fighting for?
- Is the Ecole Polytechnique a good university overall?
- What is the most beautiful gemstone
- America is the most diverse country
- Who is an Affordable SEO Service Provider