How many Americans are homeless
According to the UN Habitat program, 1.1 billion people in urban areas do not have adequate accommodation; the number of those affected is likely to rise to 1.6 billion by 2025. At least 100 million people are practically homeless. In Europe, four million are temporarily homeless each year and in the US 3.5 million.
In many countries, home prices are rising faster than incomes - in New Zealand by 35 percent since 2010, in Austria by around 28 percent, in Great Britain by 15 and in Australia by almost 10 percent.
For the majority of the world's urban population (in cities with more than 100,000 inhabitants) the median home price is five times their gross annual household income. (The median or central value divides a list of values into two halves of equal size, the values of which are above or below the median; editor's note.)
- However, home ownership is only considered affordable if the median exceeds income by at most three times. Only in 13 percent of cities there are apartments that as affordable be valid.
- Between 2002 and 2012, a typical home cost in London seven times an average annual salary. Today the price is twelve times as much.
- In Canada 20 percent of all tenants have to pay more than 50 percent of their income for their apartment.
- In the United States Every fourth family has to spend more than 70 percent of their income on the apartment alone (rent, electricity, heating, etc.).
- In the Australian state Victoria 33,000 people are waiting to be allocated social housing. Only every hundredth private rental apartment in Melbourne and surroundings are offered at a price that low-income single parents can afford.
In 2015, 27.8 million people in 127 countries were displaced due to conflict, violence and disaster.
75 percent of the world's internally displaced people - 30 million people - live in just ten countries, including Colombia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iraq, Sudan and South Sudan.
In 2015, 19.2 million people in 113 countries were served by Natural disasters forced to flee. In the past eight years there were 203.4 million.
Since the mid-2000s, 15 million people have been through it Development project such as dams, redevelopment projects in cities and international sporting events are forced to give up their houses or accommodations.
The risk of a premature death is with the homeless two to five times higher than in the general population.
The tuberculosis-Infection rates are 20 times higher, the incidence of depression is seven times higher.
Looking for homeless people in the UK Emergency clinics four times more often on as people with permanent residence; the cost of treatment is estimated at more than $ 100 million annually.
In the USA it is Proportion of smokers four times higher among the homeless than in the general population.
A large number of the “hidden” homeless are women who seek protection from violence, often together with their children. They often live alternately at home, in emergency shelters or with relatives and friends.
40-50 percent of the homeless in Australia Women, and 60 percent of help and services specifically for homeless people are used by women.
More than 90 percent of homeless women in the United States Victim physical or sexual violence; one of the main causes of their homelessness is their attempt to evade these attacks.
The risk of a premature death is for homeless women in Canada aged 18 to 44 years ten times higher than for women of the same age in the general population.
The proportion of children and young people among the homeless is increasing. Children who live on the streets are particularly at risk of violence, exploitation and abuse.
In the United States are according to official estimates every year 1.9 million young people Temporarily affected by homelessness, in Canada there are likely to be 35,000. In 2014, around 84,000 homeless young people were cared for by official or private bodies in Great Britain.
The half of homeless children in Canada came from families with middle and upper income. On average, they are 15 years old when they leave home. More than 70 percent have been one way or another mistreated or abused.
In India there are approx. 400,000 street children.
Identify themselves in the USA, the UK and Canada 20 to 40 percent of homeless youth as LGBT + (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender).
Members of the indigenous people ten times more likely to be in emergency shelters than other Canadians. Almost 20 percent of the indigenous people who live outside their reservations are homeless.
African American women make up 12 percent of the US population, compared with nearly 40 percent in housing for the homeless.
Approx. every fifth African American renter in the US is evicted at least once in their life, in the case of “white” tenants only one in 15.
The homelessness rate below Aboriginal in Australia is 14 times higher than among the rest of the population.
Copyright New Internationalist
- How often do you yawn
- What do Australians think of China?
- How has technology changed elderly care
- What is a certified international project manager
- How much does an HVAC technician earn
- What if someone gets rabies
- Which is Australia's smallest state
- How many Indians live in Sydney
- Who is the richest person in Slovenia
- Who makes tax revenue laws
- Dogs can dream of their owners
- What are the different UK work visas
- What does hand body language mean
- Who owns the land within the railroad?
- What kind of accountant is in demand
- Is IELTS better than TOEFL
- Westminster Abbey is a Catholic Church
- When will China's population double?
- When do you feel euphoria
- How do I deal with performance stress
- Technology can transform human relationships
- What is a satisfying yet easy job
- What did you get from Quora 1
- The standard of English is declining
- How can you find people in Australia
- How can I monetize my Instagram account
- Max Verstappen is immature
- Vietnamese drink too much alcohol
- Are Las Vegas prostitutes hot
- Smells good a girl's vagina
- How has technology influenced human values
- Uses Indonesia PayPal
- Is there something wrong with being nocturnal?
- Who was August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben