Is LSD recognizable in airport security
Unrecognizability and autonomy
In his work, the London-based artist, filmmaker and author Zach Blas examines the discriminatory potential of digital surveillance and detection technologies that are used to ensure compliance with laws, establish security in public spaces, consolidate social power structures or a political agenda to establish. Blas includes numerous, different digital technologies and phenomena of digital culture in his artistic research. He is also interested in dealing with the human body in the context of security and surveillance technology applications, such as machine learning, neural networks or chatbots. In his work, Blas activates various forms of queer identity in order to disavow the inherent, repressive tendencies of modern technology. He is currently interested in the origins, founding myths and ideologies of digital culture and the technologies it has developed, such as the Internet or artificial intelligence. In the multimedia, interdisciplinary installation “The Doors” as part of his exhibition “The Unknown Ideal” in the Edith-Russ-Haus in Oldenburg, Blas thinks about the change in Silicon Valley from the center of Californian hip counterculture to a symbol of radical neoliberalism, the invention of the internet, and the importance of psychoactive drugs then and now.
Magdalena Kröner: I liked the core of your approach of turning digital and biometric technology against the companies that originally developed them in order to govern, control and enforce social norms. I would like to learn more about how you developed this original and deeply personal form of activism at the center of your artistic practice. Which came first - art or activism - or are both inextricably linked for you? ...
Register for free and read on:
- Read 3 articles from the archive and regularly read many other articles free of charge
- Receive the KUNSTFORUM newsletter: article recommendations, weekly art news, special offers and much more, can be canceled at any time
- Use the exclusive watchlist function
- permanently free of charge
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
"Kunstforum is a magazine that has plowed almost every topic that is important, and it is so extensive that I sometimes look again in magazines from ten years ago, and Kunstforum often turns out to be a treasure trove ..." - Kasper König
- Has anyone ever saved your life by mistake?
- Who are the best football commentators
- The music industry is the same everywhere
- Why do tooth extractions hurt
- Are business development jobs in the field
- Can we go abroad after completing the CA?
- How did you become a foodie
- Where is the sacrifice mentioned in the Bible?
- Why do Kerala people love beef
- Did you have sex at school?
- What are the best big US cities
- How powerful is the Supreme Court
- How do you get academically smart
- Is it hard to be a sailor
- Which investment is good for 5 years
- What do you think of Sri Lanka
- Blacklist recruiters
- What do humming songs mean
- Why don't baby boomers retire
- What is the most Israeli thing at all
- How to clean a sheepskin rug
- Why are people so curious
- Why was Skype founded and registered in Luxembourg
- What are the best bars in Bangkok