Offers Coursera free certificates
Are Coursera and edX really free?
The short answer in advance: Yes, in many cases you can use the MOOCs from Coursera and edX learn for free.
However, if you want to receive a course certificate, you have to buy it.
In this article we will explain exactly what that means.
(Jump to all MOOCs in our directory here.)
(More about the user experiences with Coursera and edX.)
The model: Learn for free, certificates are optional
With the advent of MOOCs (massive open online courses) modern online learning became possible. Universities such as Harvard, Stanford or the Technical University of Munich offer openly accessible learning content in modern video format on the platforms (see also: "This is how a MOOC works").
In general, the MOOC model is as follows:
- The Learning content most MOOCs are free. You have access to the video lessons and discussion forums and can learn independently and flexibly.
- However, who one certificate for his online course, this must be paid for separately fee acquire. Online exams are also taken for this purpose. However, certificates can only be acquired if required (no obligation to buy).
In the practice of the providers, different "tracks" are taken depending on the learning objective. Who only learn free of charge and does not need a certificate, the Audit-Variant choose. Otherwise you have to go for the Verified Certificate-Variant enroll.
The certificates finance the operation of the MOOC platforms
At the beginning of the MOOC development, the complete courses including the certificate were often free of charge.
Since the providers have to finance their educational offerings for learners around the world themselves in the long term, the paid certificates were introduced later.
That's how you try that Educational mission with a sustainable business model connect to. This freemium model is also common in other industries.
50 EUR for an optional MOOC certificate
The paid certificates are often chosen by participants for two reasons:
- The own motivation is increased to also complete the entire online course.
- One receives a document that is for applications and looks good on your résumé. After all, the courses come from top international universities and the certificates attest to successful participation. ("What do the certificates bring?")
A certificate for one multi-week MOOC often costs then around 50-100 EUR. For particularly needy learners there are even financial relief (Financial Aid with Coursera and Financial Assistance with edX).
In many courses, however, the majority of participants often learn for free, despite the relatively low prices, without buying an additional certificate.
- Why are hateful people hated
- What do Armenian men expect from women
- When did armies start wearing uniforms?
- How tough is aerospace engineering at MIT
- People with low IQ commit more crimes
- What is the cheapest apple laptop
- Where did slavery start?
- Why is Venice sinking
- What is India's economy
- Will Donald Trump's presidency benefit the US?
- Which bonsai trees ripen quickly
- The best countries in the world
- What are the benefits of coping with stress
- How does the nose smell
- What is the history of the Albanians
- Is Kerala safe for women
- Support barter
- Cursing girls
- Does Canada have any billionaires
- You can't pass elementary school in Ontario
- What are the best project management myths
- Who is WePays Program Manager
- What is the ultimate revenge
- Why are we fighting for a better life