Are the cats scratched in cat cafes
Are you debating whether to keep your cat indoors or out?
(Image credit: Marser / Getty Images)
Many cats love the outdoors. Humane associations, however, agree that living indoors is far healthier for them - they are safe from outdoor hazards and their employees tend to pay more attention to them and notice signs of health problems sooner.
The result of being a house cat? A much longer lifespan. An all-indoor cat lives an average of 13 to 17 years, while a cat that is allowed to run around is likely to only survive two to five years. That is, they can live longer depending on some factors such as: B. where they live.
The only absolute rule when deciding whether to go indoors or outdoors: Scratched kittens should be kept indoors. We do not recommend you ever scratch a cat, but sometimes people adopt cats that have already been scratched. Scratched cats cannot defend themselves against dogs, other cats, or predators, which makes nature even more risky.
But if your kitten has its claws and you're still on the fence about whether to leave it outside, here are some things to keep in mind.
The advantages and disadvantages of domestic cats
Domestic cats have a few things to offer that add to their longer average lifespan. Outdoor cats face many everyday hazards that cats don't face indoors.
Domestic cats will not:
- Getting hit by a car
- get lost
- Let yourself be attacked by dogs, other cats and predators
- Eat poison left out by thoughtless or malicious neighbors
- Pick up parasites like fleas and ticks unless they're brought in by another person or a pet
- Fishing diseases spread by other cats
However, there are some downsides to cats that live indoors all the time. You can take steps to avoid these drawbacks even if your cat stays indoors.
The cons may not outweigh the advantages of keeping your cat indoors, but they are still important things to consider.
Domestic cats could:
- Get bored and act undesirable
- Grow lethargic and gain weight more easily
- Speak loudly when you leave, especially if you have separation anxiety
The pros and cons of cats outdoors
(Image credit: Cavan Images / Getty Images)
While leaving your cat outside can be risky, outdoors cats benefit from the opportunity to experience life in nature. They have a shorter average lifespan, of course, but it may be worth it for your cat to be able to move around at will.
Enjoying cats outside:
- More practice
- More outside stimulation
- The pleasure of fresh air and sunshine
Given these advantages, it is also important to understand the disadvantages of letting your cat run around outdoors. Cats that run around outside are at far more dangerous than domestic cats, and they often die much earlier - often painfully.
Cats outdoors might:
- Let cars hit you
- get lost
- Facial attacks from dogs, other cats, or predators
- Eat poison left out by thoughtless or malicious neighbors
- Collect parasites like fleas and ticks
- Suffering from diseases spread by other cats
Protect cats and let them experience nature
If you want your cat to have the benefits of going outside without facing the risks of real cats outdoors, it is best to build an enclosure in your yard. This allows your cat to watch and climb birds and squirrels, but is protected from many of the dangers it faces outside of the enclosure.
Take a look at the “Catio” enclosures. They will be checked for cats in areas, and some will be connected to a window or cat door so your cat can come and go as they please. Outdoor playpen for cats may be another option.
If you want your cat to enjoy the whole yard, you can install special fences to keep them safely fenced off. These solutions are not always perfect for keeping wildlife out of your yard, but they may work for your particular area and living situation.
You can also train some cats to walk a leash. This allows you to spend time outside with your cat while keeping them safe and under control.
If you let your cat run around outside, you can microchip them for identification and equip them with a reflective breakaway collar and updated dog tags.
Keep your house cat entertained
(Photo credit: OLGA MALTSEVA / AFP / Getty Images)
Many people who have wanted to leave their cats outside believe that domestic cats will be bored, overweight, and unfulfilled. You can avoid all of these cons if you are a responsible, thoughtful cat owner.
To enliven a domestic cat's environment, give them access to at least two of the following:
- One that reaches from the floor to the ceiling scratch tree for your climbing pleasure
- At least one European bass this gives them a glimpse of a bird feeder or other outdoor wildlife
- An aquarium that you like to look into, but cannot fall into
- Interactive toy that requires that they use their brains and physical abilities to acquire goodies
- Daily playtime, petting and training
- A big, heavy one scratch tree This allows them to stretch, sharpen their claws and release their characteristic scent from the glands in their paws
- A cat wheel or other interactive exercise toy that gets them moving
Conclusion: should cats only live indoors?
Domestic cats live longer and healthier lives, but if you want to leave your kitten outside, there are safer ways to do it.
A cat enclosure gives you the best of both worlds. It allows your cat to get out into the great outdoors without facing the dangers of roaming where they want.
We do not recommend letting your cat run around outdoors. The risks are too high. Still, if you are a hardworking cat parent, you can still provide a house cat with all of the benefits that outdoor cats can offer.
That said, it's a decision every cat owner must make for themselves and we'd love to hear your thoughts.
Do you think cats should only live indoors? Or should they be free to wander around outside? Let us know in the comments below!
Click the bold links in the article to endorse our content! CatTime is part of the Chewy Affiliate Program, which allows websites to earn fees by serving advertisements and linking to Chewy.com.
- Home page
- Are you debating whether to keep your cat indoors or out?
- What profit is there in Belgaum?
- How do I give love to my neighbor
- Hindu gods can be killed
- What does it mean to know someone
- Dress codes are out of date
- How did the British colonize New Zealand
- How much alcohol causes alcohol intoxication
- What is important in your life
- Where is a safe place to run away
- Why did Elvis marry Priscilla
- What if everyone earns the same income
- How bad is lunch at your school
- Should I take piano lessons?
- What are five approaches to qualitative research
- How did Australia get its name
- What causes the fear of death
- Which country has the happiest people?
- What are some notable crowdfunding mistakes
- How can I get PR in the Netherlands
- The Xbox 360 is still worth it
- Why switching is important in telecommunications
- What can science learn from industry?
- How much do gynecologists earn
- Is https www eithusan com legal