What do Christians in America believe
"God bless America" - US politicians like to end their speeches with this saying: Religion, belief and politics are closely intertwined. An overview of religious groups and churches in the USA.
As tax-exempt organizations, churches must maintain party-political neutrality. However, possible violations are very rarely legally checked and punished. The state does not collect any data on religion. The research institutes Pew Research Center and Public Policy Research Institute are considered reliable when it comes to information on religion and belief.
Catholics: The largest church in the United States is the Roman Catholic with about 70 million members. More than a third of Catholics are Latinos. In 2016, a majority of white Catholic voters voted for Republican Donald Trump, according to a post-election survey. Two-thirds of the Latino Catholics voted for Hillary Clinton, a Democrat. The Catholic bishops praise Trump's stance against abortion, but criticize his social policy and his measures against immigration. The Democrat Joe Biden would be the second Catholic President after John F. Kennedy (1961-63).
Protestants: They made up about 43 percent of the U.S. population in 2019, significantly less than a decade ago, according to the Pew Research Center. The Southern Baptist Association, with 14.5 million members, is the largest Protestant church. For Protestants, a distinction is made between traditional "mainline" churches such as Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians and Anglicans, as well as the numerous independent free churches and mega-congregations with thousands of members. As before, white and black believers mostly stay to one another at Sunday services. There is a deep rift between white and black Protestant Christians.
According to the Pew Institute, 57 percent of white "mainline" Protestants voted Trump in 2016 and 3 percent of black Protestants.
Evangelicals: An estimated 15 percent of Americans are white Evangelical Christians, according to the Public Religion Research Institute.
Other estimates come to a slightly higher number. Evangelicals are Protestant Christians who have experienced conversion and are in a "personal relationship" with Jesus Christ. They also have a mission. Evangelicals can be found in free churches and mega churches, but also in "mainline" churches. White Evangelicals are closely allied with the Republican Party and are highly organized in associations. Many feel like victims of a rapidly changing society.
Rest: The fastest growing group in the US are people with no affiliation with organized religious groups. In 2019, 26 percent of Pew respondents said they had no fixed religion, were agnostics or atheists. In 2009, 17 percent fell into this category.
Young people in particular have distanced themselves from religious institutions. People without religious affiliation vote democratically far more than proportionally. About two percent of Americans are Jewish, two percent Mormons and, according to Pew, an estimated one percent each is Hindu, Muslim and Buddhist. Mormons are considered reliable Republicans. Jews, Muslims, Hinduists and Buddhists vote disproportionately democratically.
- Soldiers can use their own equipment
- Is Microsoft more successful than Apple
- Is United Abroad's advice genuine or not
- Arab men are attracted to Indian women
- Why do I cry in my sleep
- Who or what is FISA
- What are some tipping faux pas
- What ethnic background is Frank Sinatra
- How did artists land their first exhibition
- Are deliveries current assets or fixed assets
- What are the best 70s tv shows
- What is your secret key to happiness
- How do narcissists deal with unwanted breakups
- What is life like as an ESIC UDC
- India's foreign policy is a farce
- Open offices are better
- What is the Luciferian teaching
- Where does the term tween come from?
- What is Romania's favorite dish
- What is worse child abuse or neglect
- Holds the first separation at all
- Which electricity should I choose for biotechnology
- How do you give a good speech
- Burns refractory sheetrock
- What is the best portable carpet cleaning machine
- Sex is a choice
- Which job portals are good
- Why is learning German important
- Can a resource-based economy work 1
- What qualifications are required for NIIT
- What Are Some Cool Affordable Electronic Devices
- What do Chileans think of Peruvians
- How does China treat Muslims
- Why is Australia in an underlying recession?