Hiring McKinsey Auditor in India

Joined McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Joined McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Hello dear community,

I'm in the 9th semester of my master's degree in business administration, with a focus on finance and statistics, so it's more technical. I did a Bachelor's and Master's degree at the same non-target university, more like a middle group, but there were McKinsey events on campus.

I worked as a tutor in the Bachelor's degree Finance 1, also had a student assistant job at a finance chair, mainly technical data analysis. I can program VBA and deal with Fixed Income, but I am far from being a quant :)
During my studies I worked two days a week in asset management for a year, but in finance and not in management itself.
Before that, I did a six-month internship in Asia, a company that also sells in Germany, but nothing like the DAX.
Bachelor grade was 1.7 (top 5% of my university). Master cut now currently 1.5, tendency rather better. My problem: Abi of 3.0!
Would like to do an internship (consulting, medium-sized) before starting my master’s thesis and send applications to Tier1 UB after completing my master’s thesis.

How do you see my chances?
Cheers,
Chris

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Nothing against your profile - Don't want to poke fun at it, just be honest about what you are probably expecting.

Difficult.

  1. Too little internship experience. (Asia is awesome, but if industry, then DAX, MDAX and possibly also)

  2. Abi 3.0, in the tier 1 consultations this is a real knock-out. MBB
    want employees who have 1, x in their Abitur even without learning. Not because they learned a lot, but because of their analytical skills.

  3. No target university, plus no university change between Bachelor and Master. MBB very much like to see regional changes. The willingness to travel is just super important. However, Asia is helping here.

MBB will be difficult.
Think Tier2 should definitely be there, maybe it will be difficult with Horvath too.
The in-house consultations could still be a good option.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Sorry, but the Abitur spoils it. I see little or no chance, at least not for entry. Also Wyman, Stern Steward can tick off. Now you will say that your studies are great. Yes it is. However, there are more than enough candidates who have completed both Abitur and studies in the 1, x area. A former fellow student of mine had the same "problem". Go to a Big4 or a little consultation a la Horvath. The exit options are just as good. Of course you earn less, but you also work a lot less ...

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

So you think Big4 Advisory is still feasible?

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Thank you for your answers!

The reason why school grades are heavily weighted is clear to me, and in my opinion it is also conclusive. The question, however, is whether this is the absolute deal breaker for me, or whether I can sell it as an edgy résumé with continuous improvement. For me the latter is definitely the case, but if they don't invite me I can give myself my explanations of why I was bad at school (-:

I only asked about entry opportunities because I want / have to further optimize my profile before I apply. I also got the advice from all McKinsey consultants I have spoken to up to now (however none of them knew about my high school diploma). It is definitely possible for me to become the best in my year, and I also have the prospect of a doctorate. The question is how do I go about the whole thing now. The next step would probably be an internship in the second row of consulting?

Since the Tier 1 consultations are all about analytics, wouldn't an internship at the IB be bad? I think my profile, especially due to my training, is more in line with the requirements?

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Yes, there really isn't much you can do about it. You're just not a top performer, the Abitur is really the black spot. Better to do that again, try to achieve a maximum of an NC of 1.5.

Hahaha, oh people ...

OP, do your internship first, then do your master’s thesis ... and so on and so forth.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

If transaction advice is an option for you -> Pwc

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Sorrry's Abitur is the absolute deal breaker! Regardless of which internships you are still doing or whether you manage to be the best in your year ... Objectives are certainly enough for a lot. Not for MBB, as there are simply too many with a perfect profile who want advice. Try the Big4. In a few years more strategists will surely have merged into a Big4. Meanwhile, the serious competitors and continue to expand.

Spacer88 wrote:

Thank you for your answers!

For what reason school grades are heavily weighted
is clear to me, is also conclusive in my opinion. The
However, the question is whether this is the absolute deal breaker for me
is, or whether I use that as an angular resume
continuous increase can sell. For me it is
definitely the latter, but if I don't
I can invite my explanations of why I'm bad at
the school was also given a gift (-:

I only asked about entry opportunities because I mean
I want / have to optimize my profile further before I apply.
I also got the advice from all McKinsey consultants
whom I have spoken so far (but they all knew
nothing from my high school diploma). It is definitely possible for me
To be the best in my year, I have the prospect of a doctorate
also. The question is how do I go about the whole thing now.
The next step would probably be an internship in the
second row consulting not bad?

Since the Tier 1 consultations are exclusively about analytics
an internship at the IB might not be possible
bad? I think that's my profile, especially
through my training, rather the requirements?

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Don't try to adapt to just any job, find the job that suits you ...

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

why should you, as the best of your year with the prospect of doing a doctorate, "tremble" powerpoint slides for 18 hours a day?

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

"Or whether I can sell it as an edgy résumé with continuous growth"

Exactly something does not work. Are exactly the opposite of what Tier 1 counseling is looking for.
MBB people simply have top grades, no beautiful painting or relativization. Outperform anywhere and you're done.

Sounds harsh, but unfortunately it's the truth.
Tier 2 should be easy in there.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Sorry. You can probably forget about IB.
In IB, two 3 factors are important, nothing else is completely irrelevant.

  1. Target Uni
  2. A lot of pratika (for BB at least 3)
  3. Super grades
reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

How do you rate the following profile?

Abi 2.3, B.Sc Mannheim 2.2, M.Sc Mannheim 1.3
DAX30 working student 3 years
DAX30 abroad 6m
Big4 TS 3m

thanks

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Course of study? Focus? What kind of department in the DAX job? In which foreign country?

1.3 Mannheim would be a house brand.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Are you at one of the Target universities? Why not just ask a recruiter at one of the various events? That's how I've always done it ... From my point of view, your grades are not outstanding. The difference to the TS is that your Abi is in the good range, which does not disqualify you from the start. If you belong to the top 5-10% in both the BSc and the MSc, it could be enough for an invitation ...

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

How do you get to Mannheim with a high school diploma of 2.3?

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

If it helps you in any way, an old school friend of mine came to MBB with Abi 2.8. However, I was also the best of my year at the university and had top internships at home and abroad.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

That may be, there are always exceptions. I stood by when a fellow student was rejected directly at the booth, because of the Abis and that although the reader of the CV was very amused up to the Abinote (range of 3) (which he then told him). Of course you should try it, but you shouldn't be disappointed if the expected happens ...

Lounge guest wrote:

If it helps you in any way, an old school friend of mine
is at MBB with Abi 2.8. Was in the
Uni also best of year and had top internships in Germany and
Foreign countries..

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

The previous speakers have already aptly summarized it, whereby you can always say only try is smart, but I see the chances of 10-20% for MBB to be invited to the interview at all.

As you say, I would apply to IB and UB internships, because the IB topic seems to suit you too. It would of course be good to stay with a well-known company, as this would also have a signal effect.

An alternative is to start with tier 2 advice after completing your master’s degree or in industry (with your profile, DAX or top niche player should be possible) and then after 2-4 years to try again at MBB. The big consultants now employ around 50% applicants with extensive experience.

Promotion is double-edged, if you want to do it for yourself then definitely. It will be less useful for the consulting entry, since all MBB candidates could easily do a doctorate or have already done a doctorate and still be checked on your Abitur, only that you are then in the pool with all the PHD graduates. It's a little different with work experience, as the pool of experienced professionals is less homogeneous and your experience is more weighted.

I wish you success!

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Yes, I just wanted to make it clear that there are always exceptions, this is by no means the rule. Top Abi is usually a basic requirement. The chances are really bad, but you never know ..

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

If it is really your ultimate goal to find a job at MBB, then you can also take the path of a doctorate or 2-3 years of professional experience to put your ABI grade in the background. But note: Always very good performance from now on, otherwise it will be a tight spot.

In your case, I would recommend a doctorate at Target-Uni international, Switzerland would certainly also be a good place, since you can easily get an MBB internship with a "bad German" Abitur during your doctorate there. Speak from my own experience and see colleagues who have done exactly the same.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Years later, people are still looking at their Abitur. The doctorate will bring you precious little. It is more likely to work elsewhere for a few years, where you have to acquire exactly the skills that MBB is looking for at some point (so also a little bit of gambling where you are certainly doing quite well with IT / cloud / big data). But again I see it as rather unlikely ...

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Abinote worse 2.5 is outweighed by almost nothing! Maybe a top tier MBA, but difficult even there.

My profile:
Abi 2.7
Dipl. Ing: 1.2 MSc BWL (UK): 1.1
Doctorate in Computer Science (USA / target)

Most of them canceled because of their Abis (was always requested). Save yourself the doctorate if your goal is MBB.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Would it be possible to join the following profile:

1.7 Fachabi

1.9 Fh (not known)
meanwhile, working student DAX 30 and working student MDAX

1.4 private UAS (not quite as well known)
meanwhile working student DAX30 and master's student Mitellstand (known)

Trainee DAX 30 since 2014

Now I am planning to do an MBA at WHU or in Mannheim while working. (As soon as 2 years BE available) Would then be 26 at the start.

Would that upgrade my profile enough to get invitations to the UB or IB? For IB I would also do a CFA.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

It will neither work nor currently. You would have to have an MBA abroad to have a chance at MBB. As for IB, it won't work even then, if only because of your ignorance: D CFA for the IB. You should be able to differentiate between buy-side and sell-side ... some do the CFA, but to switch from IB to a top fund / HF, where this is simply expected. In addition, the ER departments are classified in the IB at some addresses, but have nothing to do with the classic IB in the sense (ECM / DCM / M & A / S & T)

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

I feel completely different every time I read what an outline the self-proclaimed elite sheds are doing around the Abitur.

What is the middling about? Nobody has to care anymore.

It's really silly to turn down seasoned graduates with great profiles because of their high school diploma.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Why do an MBA as a business economist when you already have a master’s degree? It couldn't be more pointless.
CFA has absolutely 0 added value in the IB!

With FH you can forget about MBB and BB anyway, but you can try Tier 2 right after the end of the trainee program.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

So I know someone who with a top degree in Mannheim + St Gallen at the end of a PhD was even rejected because of a high school graduation from Berger: D and they are known to be under MBB

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Berger is not under MBB, they are often part of the team for Germany. MBB = McKinsey, Boston Consulting and Bain!

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

I myself work at McK & can confirm that the above profiles are too bad. We are only looking for real permanent performers - the Abitur is also important here. McK consultants usually have an Abi of less than 1.3. It must also be said that we found in a study that the section is a very good indicator of professional success.

Great!

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Haha oh bake ... colleague McK, you certainly work for the club in question.
You have to differentiate here: A 3.0 Abi is of course unnecessary baggage for applications, be it McK or Ulis Würschtlbude. But I know from acquaintances that our alleged McKler from the previous post is a classic catfish. 2 colleagues (1.7 and 2.1 Abi) have been invited to an interview. One is now in DD with McK and the other has messed up the cases, but both were far from the aforementioned 1.3 Abi. If the B.Sc/M.Sc grade is correct (Top 5-15%) and the applicant does not come from any Odenwald University of Applied Sciences but from a renowned university, then you have half the rent for an interview, 3-4 smart internships and you can apply at least prove personally.

Why do you always have to pretend to be what you are not and think you are doing briefly here on Consultant-Fuzzi ... man man man!

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

To get away from the trolls a bit ...

OP, what is your current situation and how did you decide? :)

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

i went to horvath

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Thanks for the answer!

reply

Re: three-year internship program - Lufthansa, Bilfinger

In your opinion, does it make sense to complete a three-year internship program, for example at Lufthansa or Bilfinger, while studying in Mannheim, or are you too committed? The consulting industry is quite a goal.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

How do you want to have gone to Mannheim for the Bachelor's degree with 2.3 Abi

Lounge guest wrote:

How do you rate the following profile?

Abi 2.3, B.Sc Mannheim 2.2, M.Sc Mannheim 1.3
DAX30 working student 3 years
DAX30 abroad 6m
Big4 TS 3m

thanks

reply

Re: three-year internship program - Lufthansa, Bilfinger

Abi not less than 1.3 = not a top performer.

Try harder in your next life!

reply

Re: three-year internship program - Lufthansa, Bilfinger

I don't think much of these rotation programs. Use the internship to look at different things.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Have a 3, x Abitur and I am at MBB. However, when I was 27, I also had a doctorate in physics.

reply

Re: three-year internship program - Lufthansa, Bilfinger

Section is under 1.3. How do you know he's worse? What does this have to do with the program?

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

So much bullshit is being told here.Have a 2.5 Abi myself and have been invited to McK, BCG, Bain etc. As long as the shape curve is rising, that's not a problem. On the contrary - people are happy when you have a little profile. I wonder why so many people here always give this nudge when they have no idea.

Don't listen to the people here who don't give you the butter on your bread. Make it easy!

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Pssst! We want to reduce the competition.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Abi 3.0 is usually only possible in 2 cases at MBB:

1) Math / physics are above average
and or
2) You will get a consultant to submit your application to recruiting => If you don't know anyone, you can build up contacts via the "simple" workshops (not the top events on Mallorca, which have lower acceptance than interviews)

Cheers

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

I don't understand some people ..
Won't you apply if everyone here thinks your profile has failed?

Why don't you apply directly, but ask anonymous people who you have never seen in your life and who will apparently never see in your life?

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

I see like my pre-poster. If you find your profile reasonably sufficient, then write an application. A lot of this

"We only take the best top 2% university students who founded their own company during their studies, did 4 internships with global players and also improved the world in Africa" ​​Talk is simply a marketing of the management consultancies with two goals:

1) To increase the own value of the consultant significantly and thus to keep the prices high, as well as to make your own competence appear higher

2) Weeding out less self-confident students before they apply, because advisors always have to appear competent and self-confident with customers - even if the cart has just been driven completely against the wall.

PS: I don't mean to say that the requirements of strategy consultancies are low. The requirements are higher than in other professional areas, but definitely not as high as always shown.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Hello everybody,

I have a question that interests me a lot.
It is my dream to work in a tier 1 consultancy.
Now I would like to hear your opinion on my chances and my résumé:

Secondary school graduation 3.0
Business school graduation 2.6
Training as an office clerk, degree 2.0
Currently BOS average currently 1.5
Next year I'll have my general Abitur in my pocket.

Do you think that's enough for McKinsey, BCG ...

thank you for your efforts

greetings

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Should fit, there is a very clear improvement and improvement for the better to be seen. If you now have a little extra curricular things, nothing should stand in the way of invitations.

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

bad troll post ...

if you mean it seriously (but I don't think so): of course no chance !! that's not enough for tier 2/3 either

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Your chances are 0.0%

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

My profile:

Abi was still very close to 2
Bachelor lower 1, x / top 25% at a well-known university abroad + semester abroad
Master Finance at a well-known university abroad, let's assume it will be the same cut

Internships: 2x startups (one unknown, the other well known), one DAX30, all strategy and / or controlling. Currently working for a startup in the operations area
Only consulting experience so far through student advice for half a year
Otherwise very good IT skills (VBA, SQL, various programming languages) and two foreign languages, in addition to English.

Would I have a chance or does the section break my neck?

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Would say it breaks your neck in addition to your lack of consulting experience (student is nice, but no comparison to a real internship).

But what have you got to lose? Try it everywhere, so Tier 1/2, Boutiques, Big4, Acc / Capgemini & medium-sized companies (Simon kucher, zeb, Horvath, ctcon, ...).

Big4, acc / Capgemini and Mittelstand in particular should lead to a few invitations and after a few years try again at Tier 1/2.

Lounge guest wrote:

My profile:

Abi was still very close to 2
Bachelor lower 1, x / top 25% at a well-known university abroad +
Semester abroad
We'll take Master Finance at a well-known university abroad
times on it will be the same cut

Internships: 2x startups (one unknown, the other against it
well known), one DAX30, all strategy and / or
Controlling. Currently working for a startup in the
Operations area
Only consulting experience so far through student
Advice for half a year
Otherwise very good IT skills (VBA, SQL, various.
Programming languages) and two foreign languages, in addition to English.

Would I have a chance or does the section break my neck?

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

I think the section is going to be a big problem. Can't assess your Msc Finance. If LSE / Oxbridge etc. I think you shouldn't have any problems (especially abroad). If IE / Esade / Bocconi (all still top, but one step below), I see the chances as very slim. All universities below in the MSC will of course be even more difficult. Would try to do something through recruiting events at your university. Other consultations than MBB also have a lot to offer;)

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

Again the penultimate poster here, thanks for the feedback!

Is more like the second league that the pre-poster mentioned, and wgn. I was also worried about the lack of consulting experience. But let's see, it's not too late to do an internship;)

reply

Re: Joining McKinsey, Booz, etc ... Profile

As I said, I would try if I were you, but I wouldn't have high hopes for Tier 1/2 because of my Abis. Masters abroad is no longer the unique selling proposition it was a few years ago.

Lounge guest wrote:

Again the penultimate poster here, thanks for the feedback!

Is more like the second league that the pre-poster mentioned, and
because of I already have the lack of consulting experience
Worried. But let's see, it's not too late yet
To whack an internship;)

reply

Internship at McKinsey, BCG and Bain as a lawyer

as a lawyer do you have the chance to do an internship at mbb?
according to the homepage, how does it look in practice?

reply

Internship at McKinsey, BCG and Bain as a lawyer

Have you all lost your mind? Who is interested in the section after studies + possibly doctorate?

reply

Internship at McKinsey, BCG and Bain as a lawyer

WiWi Gast wrote on October 18, 2018:

Have you all lost your mind? Who is interested in the section after studies + possibly doctorate?

MBB

I know a high school graduate of two who went to the LSE for the Finance Master and was not even invited to an interview with any of the three.

reply

Internship at McKinsey, BCG and Bain as a lawyer

I can confirm. Got 1, at Target Uni + internships and semester abroad in Asia.
Abi 2.4 in BaWü

Was asked in an interview at MBB whether I simply didn't do anything at school ...
Immediately noticed that this was the deal breaker. And that was also the case with 2-3 unknown consultations.

reply

Internship at McKinsey, BCG and Bain as a lawyer

WiWi Gast wrote on October 18, 2018:

I can confirm. Got 1, at Target Uni + internships and semester abroad in Asia.
Abi 2.4 in BaWü

Was asked in an interview at MBB whether I simply didn't do anything at school ...
Immediately noticed that this was the deal breaker. And that was also the case with 2-3 unknown consultations.

But this way of thinking by companies is uneconomical. Some 17-19 year olds had other interests in their school days than trimming their section to 1, x. At this age you go through a maturation process. What matters are the services that are currently being provided. A high school diploma is no longer representative after good performance in your studies.

But obviously these companies can allow themselves such a selection.

reply

Internship at McKinsey, BCG and Bain as a lawyer

WiWi Gast wrote on October 18, 2018:

I can confirm. Got 1, at Target Uni + internships and semester abroad in Asia.
Abi 2.4 in BaWü

Was asked in an interview at MBB whether I simply didn't do anything at school ...
Immediately noticed that this was the deal breaker. And that was also the case with 2-3 unknown consultations.

How? They invited you to an interview, only to cancel you due to your (already known) Abinote?

reply

Internship at McKinsey, BCG and Bain as a lawyer

But this way of thinking by companies is uneconomical. Some 17-19 year olds had other interests during their school days than trimming their section to 1, x. At this age you go through a maturation process. It should rather be the current performance that counts. There are several years between high school graduation and graduation. After a good degree, the section is no longer representative. As a result, the companies negligently forgive potential.

But obviously these companies can afford such a selection.

reply

Internship at McKinsey, BCG and Bain as a lawyer

Why should they invite you if the Abitur is the deal breaker? They have enough other candidates.

WiWi Gast wrote on October 18, 2018:

I can confirm. Got 1, at Target Uni + internships and semester abroad in Asia.
Abi 2.4 in BaWü

Was asked in an interview at MBB whether I simply didn't do anything at school ...
Immediately noticed that this was the deal breaker. And that was also the case with 2-3 unknown consultations.

reply

Internship at McKinsey, BCG and Bain as a lawyer

WiWi Gast wrote on October 18, 2018:

But this way of thinking by companies is uneconomical. Some 17-19 year olds had other interests during their school days than trimming their section to 1, x. At this age you go through a maturation process. It should rather be the current performance that counts. There are several years between high school graduation and graduation. After a good degree, the section is no longer representative. As a result, the companies negligently forgive potential.

But obviously these companies can afford such a selection.

Well, it's just about continuity. They just want people who have always performed well - and maybe also in life circumstances or in subjects that were not so ideal.