What are good uses for spoiled milk
It annoys one, the other is happy: Sour milk divides the mind. Read here why milk becomes sour and how it can otherwise be used.
In the days of our great-great-grandparents it was common practice to use sour milk as well as fresh milk. It was known as curd milk, stick milk or set milk and was used in various dishes. However, back then there were no refrigerators, and the milk was not preserved by pasteurization. So it happened quite often that the milk got sour and flocculated.
But although today even fresh milk is pasteurized and there is a refrigerator in every household, it happens now and then that the milk becomes sour. Because if you only bleach your coffee with a few drops of milk in the morning, you have trouble using up a whole liter in time. This is of course extremely annoying, but cow's milk is rarely offered in smaller quantities.
Milk gets differently acidic
To get straight to the point, not all milk is created equal. With regard to the souring of cow's milk, you have to distinguish whether you are using milk that you buy directly from the farmer, the so-called raw milk or heated milk from the supermarket. Pasteurized milk includes fresh milk, ESL and long-life milk. Because depending on the variety, it gets differently acidic.
Untreated milk: The type of untreated milk includes raw milk that you get fresh from the farmer. After the farmer has milked the cow, he fills the milk into large jugs and places it in a cool place. Your milk jug or bottle is then filled directly from the large jug. Apart from keeping it cool, nothing happened to the raw milk after milking.
The preferred milk that you can buy in health food stores is also untreated. In contrast to raw milk, however, the farmer does not sell it himself. Preferred milk is also only filtered and kept cool after milking. The information on raw milk, the use-by date and an explanation of the shelf life must be noted on their packaging.
Lactic acid bacteria are responsible for the souring of untreated milk. They convert the milk sugar into lactic acid. If there is a certain amount of lactic acid in milk, the milk protein contracts and flocculates. It curdles and the raw milk tastes clearly sour. The longer the sour milk stands, the thicker it becomes. It is also called sour milk.
Pasteurized milk: The raw milk is preserved by heating, because the lactic acid bacteria present in the cow's milk are killed. Depending on how long and how much the raw milk is heated, fresh milk, ESL milk or long-life milk is produced. Since all three types of milk are pasteurized, they no longer contain lactic acid bacteria and should therefore not become acidic.
Nevertheless, even long-life milk can become sour. After all, there are also numerous bacteria in the air that can even cause spoilage. However, since these bacteria are not lactic acid bacteria, you should no longer consume spoiled milk.
If pasteurized milk is spoiled, this cannot always be recognized by the flocculating protein. In some cases the consistency is still homogeneous and runny, but still has a bitter taste.
Drink sour milk
Whether it is advisable to drink sour milk again depends on whether it is untreated or heated milk. This cannot always be recognized by the consistency of the sour milk, because pasteurized cow's milk can also flocculate if it spoils. So you should always know which type of milk you have in the fridge. Or check the package if you notice that the milk has turned sour.
Untreated milk: If it is raw milk or preferred milk that flocculates and thickens due to the lactic acid bacteria it contains, you can drink the soured milk without hesitation. Sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, it tastes very good. Since the lactic acid bacteria have converted a large part of the milk sugar into lactic acid, the thick milk is often tolerated even by people with lactose intolerance.
Worth reading:Milk: calories and nutritional values with a calorie table
Pasteurized milk: If fresh milk, ESL milk or long-life milk has spoiled in the refrigerator, it is not a natural souring. It is possible that you have left the pasteurized milk on the table for too long without refrigeration. Or that bacteria present in the refrigerator found their way into the milk through the opening of the carton.
While drinking spoiled milk is not harmful to people with healthy immune systems, it is also not advisable. If you leave it at a small sip and consume it once, it shouldn't have any impact on your health. Nevertheless, in sensitive people, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea can occur as sequelae.
As an emergency measure, you should drink plenty of water after consuming spoiled milk. This will speed up the elimination of the sour milk. You can also drink chamomile tea to calm your stomach and intestines. If no symptoms have occurred after several hours, the danger is over. Her body was strong enough to handle the sour milk.
Use sour milk
- If pasteurized milk is spoiled in the refrigerator, many people simply pour it into the sink. This is often unintentional, because the sour milk can be used for descaling just like the fresh milk. The lactic acid contained dissolves the lime from the drain and ensures that the water drains off better.
- You can also treat faucets with the spoiled milk and successfully remove limescale stains and water splashes.
- Do you have tarnished silver cutlery or tarnished silver jewelry? Do not throw away the sour milk; instead, put the black silver in a bath of sour milk overnight. You will be amazed how fresh and shiny you can lift the jewelry out of the milk bath the next day.
- You can also use the spoiled milk to clean tiles. Because with a soft sponge and sour milk, the white lime splatters can be removed from the tiles.
- If unloved guests, such as moles or voles, are up to mischief in your garden, the pests can also be dealt with with sour milk. Pour the spoiled milk into the vole hole or mole passage and the pests will run away.
- If your houseplants need an extra helping of calcium, it doesn't have to be untainted cow's milk that you put in the watering can. The plants don't care what milk they get. The calcium content is important. However, you should dilute the sour milk with water for plant fertilization. You must also ensure that you only treat plants that like acidic soil with it.
- Even if the sour milk is not fit for consumption, it can be used as a skin care product. You can use it to put a face mask on yourself. You can dilute the sour milk with water and use it as a washing lotion. And when you tip it into the bath water, you step out of the tub with noticeably soft skin.
- And last but not least, you can supposedly even use the spoiled milk to clean your laundry. Both red wine and blueberry stains should be able to be treated successfully with it.
Tips about sour milk
Of course, all of the above-mentioned recycling options for sour milk do not only apply to spoiled milk. Curd milk can be recycled in the same way. But if you don't like the taste, you can also use it for skin care, cleaning or pest control. Or you can process the sour raw milk during cooking:
- Tasty pancakes can be made not only with normal cow's milk, but also with sour milk. You won't taste the difference in the finished pancake.
- You can also bake curd milk instead of fresh milk in cakes. In any baking recipe that contains milk, you can use sour milk instead without affecting the taste of the finished baked goods.
- Because the lactic acid content in sour milk is particularly high, it is also ideal as a meat marinade. If you put the beef in it before braising, the roast will be particularly tender.
- And you can also use the soured raw milk as the basis for a delicious, homemade cottage cheese.
- You can also make sour milk on purpose, of course. Simply mix one liter of fresh raw milk with two tablespoons of lemon juice. Let the mixture stand overnight at room temperature and the next morning you can enjoy tasty sour milk for breakfast.
Read more household tips:
- Which Asian countries have high incomes?
- Why do I get worse grades
- What's the most Albanian ever
- Is food expensive in Australia
- Which military branch do most women join?
- America is a divided nation
- What is Nancy Pelosi's Master Plan
- How do you say beautiful in Italian
- What makes you addicted to PUBG
- What light lunch do you eat
- Which are the most durable smartphones
- How can people not respect others
- What is Bill com
- What does project management quality mean
- What is the real story of islam
- How do you do 1
- What are some examples of modern imperialism
- What religion was Moses
- Singapore, what do Batok and Timah mean
- What is the most misunderstood disability
- What are the best restaurant recommendation apps
- What is Donald Trump's least favorite food
- What is the tastiest type of fish
- How safe is Moscow for foreign visitors
- How much vacation has President Obama taken
- How can freshmen apply for jobs
- When was Venice built?
- Is Great Britain overpopulated
- What's wrong with Kollywood
- How does home care help
- Most British consider themselves Europeans
- Which country did you last visit?
- How do you cure stage IV endometriosis
- Which country manufactures MiG fighter jets