How does government borrowing affect an economy?
A state's debt can be viewed from two perspectives:
- The new government debt results from the difference between current government spending and government revenue. The annual deficit is usually set in relation to the economic output (gross domestic product) of the country.
- Total government debt is a stock figure that builds up over the years. A country's mountain of debt has been measured since it was founded. This variable is also usually set in relation to economic output.
Effects of Public Debt
Public debt can have positive effects if the loans are used to finance public investments - for example in infrastructure. Such expenditures increase the growth potential of an economy in the medium term. Ideally, this means that the state can then reduce its deficit again through increasing tax revenues.
Even in exceptional economic situations, borrowing can make sense to compensate for a drop in demand on the part of companies and consumers.
The negative effects of national debt: On the one hand, increasing interest and repayment obligations are restricting the state's financial and budgetary leeway. On the other hand, increasing government borrowing harbors the risk of displacing private loans and investments from the market - with correspondingly negative consequences for economic growth.
Rules against growing national debt
The European Union tries to limit the national debt with the Stability and Growth Pact. The pact calls on the member countries to do so
- new debt not exceeding 3 percent of gross domestic product,
- a total debt not exceeding 60 percent of the gross domestic product.
In 2009, Germany also enshrined the so-called debt brake in the Basic Law.
- What is direct and indirect government intervention
- What is the percentage of divorce?
- Why is alcohol so expensive in Ireland
- Is birthright citizenship in the US Constitution
- What does it mean to wring your neck
- How do you support an FBO exam
- A narcissist reads my letters
- Who is the Highest Paid Java Programmer
- Where did you get your yoga certificate from
- What is the Vietnamese dish Cha Ca
- Can the HR department terminate an employee
- What is stopping you from being more generous?
- What gets more frightening as you get older
- Why does Game of Thrones end badly
- Non-Africans value African art
- Mike Pence becomes the 46th President
- How does the free lunch at school work
- What is the best online job market
- Any relationship can be sustained without trust
- Where should I stay when visiting Albuquerque
- Cursing girls
- How many iPhones were made
- How much furniture complements your home
- Nothing lasts forever