What is a salvage title

Routes to finance

Are you looking for a good deal on a car in the state of California? Depending on how much money you want to spend on a vehicle, a vehicle with a salvage title may seem tempting. Understanding the salvage title vehicle laws in California can be very useful in your decision-making process. Most people know that car insurance is required to legally drive a car, but can you insure a recovery vehicle in California?

What does California consider a recovery vehicle?

Many different things can help turn a vehicle into a rescue. Most states including California follow the 80 percent rule. If the damage at the time of the damage is 80 percent or more above the value of the vehicle, the vehicle is reported to the DMV for a rescue title.

  • Bad accident
  • flooding
  • vandalism
  • Even theft

Pro tip: Be careful when buying a vehicle that has been decommissioned (or not completed at all) floods. Floods can do a lot of damage, and much of it can hide where you can't see it. Make sure a mechanic of your choice has a full inspection of the vehicle before closing a deal. It is often advisable for everyone to avoid a flooded vehicle because it creates too many problems.

A salvage title vehicle is great for parting, but it's not safe enough to drive on the road. It is also not suitable to be insured.

As soon as a vehicle is given a salvage title, it is often sent to the junkyard. It is not legal to drive a recovery vehicle in California.

What is a revived salvage title?

Leave it to California to refer to a rebuilt salvage title as a resuscitated salvage title. Much better don't you think Whether you use the term rebuilt or revived, it means the same thing.

A resuscitated vehicle was repaired and put back into service after a total write-off was reported by the owner or the insurance company. It is very important to get resuscitated status on the salvage title before buying and driving auto insurance. CA's DMV defines the steps to approve a vehicle for a Revived Salvage Title.

How to Insure Your Resuscitated California Salvage Title

The minimum insurance legislation in California requires 15,000/30,000/5,000 liability limits. Usually a vehicle with a revived title is an inexpensive vehicle that does not require full coverage. Most insurance companies do not want to cover the vehicle for physical damage because of its previous damage.

If you have current car insurance:

  • Call your current auto insurance agent and ask them to add the converted title vehicle to your current policy.
  • Include the year, make, model and VIN of the vehicle.
  • Receive the same limitations of liability as stated on your other vehicle.
  • Ask for full and collision coverage if you wish. It may be possible to obtain coverage if your insurance company does its own inspection of the vehicle.

If you need a new car insurance policy:

  • Start by checking the rates with various car insurance carriers. Let the agent know that you would like to insure a resuscitated recovery title vehicle.
  • Include the year, make, model and VIN of the vehicle.
  • Provide information about all drivers, including names, dates of birth, and driving history.
  • Specify home address.

Pro tip: Many insurance agents are unable to keep your driving record until they submit your policy. It is best to report any injuries or accidents a driver has received in the past three years for minor violations and five years for major violations.

Pro tip 2: Don't hide the fact that your title is a revived salvage title. Hiding information from the insurance carrier is never a good idea. The only person you lose is you. If you purchase physical damage coverage and you get into a cataclysmic accident then the claims adjuster sees your title being revived and they didn't know about it, you might not be covered even though you paid for coverage.

Liability coverage only shouldn't be a problem to obtain, it is physical damage coverage that an auto insurance carrier will make wary of.