Is Jerry Falwell Jr. a heretic
The deprivatised religion
Addressing religious affiliation as the choice of the individual fits into a present day that puts personal responsibility, autonomy and freedom of choice in the foreground. In the case of religion in particular, however, it is a phenomenon that persistently eludes individual choice. Augustine stated that one can only believe what is believable. What is credible, however, emerges from a network of historically and discursively formed self-evident facts, far removed from any individual decision.
Michael Dellwing deals with the vitality of religion and with the phenomena to be explained by the sociology of religion (conversion, religious participation and the public influence of religion). It depicts the penetration of the sociology of religion by the paradigm of individual choice and shows how the idea of a communal religion necessarily continues to resonate in it, in order to ultimately provide a way of looking at religion beyond personal choice.
Credendum Private religion Sociology of religion Sociology Elective paradigm Public religion
About the authors
Michael Dellwing studied and is currently doing his doctorate with Prof. Dr. Heinz Bude at the Chair of Macrosociology at the University of Kassel. He works as a lecturer at the University of Kassel.
- Book TitleDepivatised Religion
- Book Subtitle Religion Beyond Choice?
- Authors Michael Dellwing
- DOIhttps: //doi.org/10.1007/978-3-8350-9160-3
- Copyright InformationDeutscher Universitäts-Verlag | GWV Fachverlage GmbH, Wiesbaden 2007
- Publisher NameDUV
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Science (German Language)
- Softcover ISBN978-3-8350-6067-8
- eBook ISBN978-3-8350-9160-3
- Edition Number1
- Number of PagesX, 189
- Number of Illustrations0 b / w illustrations, 0 illustrations in color
- Topics Sociology, general
- Buy this book on publisher's site
- How can Trump supporters connect with protesters
- Do the Vietnamese know the Chinese dream
- What are the best biodegradable cleaning products
- Why is Ethiopian food so expensive
- How can I remove grease stains
- Why is Dravid different from Sachin
- Are doctors in Dubai overcompensated
- Why are Indian engineers not so innovative
- Where can you find domestic help?
- What is a legal person
- What is your favorite porn site
- Is married to Jungkook
- Why do Toyota Corollas last so long
- How much profit is there in the cement business
- What sexual practices are accepted in Islam
- How quickly can I change jobs
- Persecute the Chinese government of Uyghurs
- Can we give presents to Santa Claus?
- Arranged marriage is the best
- Are 5 to 7 year old kindergarten teachers
- What is the LDR function
- Why is chemistry important in a relationship
- How does art affect society?
- Why does bread and butter taste good
- SOAS MSc Finance is a good thing
- How do you like getting older
- Recognize Canadian universities of applied sciences in Singapore
- Works in an office overrated
- What is the real value of things
- What is an SEO Engineer
- Which company offers very good HR services
- What is permanent in this passing life
- Why are cigarettes bad for you?
- What is meant by an open economy