What should I know about Macedonia
Hanisauland: Lexicon @todo: from Preprocess
- Official name:
- Republic of North Macedonia
- Macedonian denarius
- Macedonian, Albanian, Turkish, Romani, Serbian, Vlachian
- National holiday:
- August 2nd: Ilinden uprising in 1903
North Macedonia is located on the southern Balkan Peninsula. The country borders Serbia to the north, Kosovo to the northwest, Bulgaria to the east, Greece to the south and Albania to the west. North Macedonia does not have its own access to the sea. In summer it is very hot there, in winter it is cold and humid.
North Macedonia is a parliamentary democracy. Every four years the citizens elect members of parliament. The president is elected by the people for five years. Around half of the population lives in cities, a third in the capital Skopje. North Macedonia is prone to earthquakes. Skopje has been destroyed by earthquakes four times.
Dispute over the country name
The official name of the country is "Republic of North Macedonia". The country has only had this name since February 2019. The renaming was preceded by a long dispute with neighboring Greece, where there is also a region of Macedonia. In 2020 the EU decided to start accession negotiations with North Macedonia. Macedonia has been a candidate for membership since 2005, but further steps were blocked until recently by the name dispute with EU member Greece.
Revolt against the foreign rulers
The name Macedonia is very old and goes back to ancient Macedonia. In the 4th century BC From there, the young King Alexander the Great conquered a world empire, which quickly fell apart after his death. In the 6th century Slavs lived in what is now North Macedonia, until later the Bulgarians, Byzantium, Serbia and finally the Ottoman Empire took over. In 1903 there was a great uprising against the Ottomans, who come from what is now Turkey. After the end of the First World War, what is now North Macedonia formed part of the new state of Yugoslavia. It became independent on September 8, 1991 and joined the UN two years later.
Escape to a Better Future?
The wars of the past have left their mark. North Macedonia is less developed economically than most other European countries. Large parts of the population live in poverty and cannot find work. Population groups such as the Roma are not treated equally by the state. This means that people do not see a good future for themselves and their children in their country. Many are fleeing to other states and are hoping to be able to lead a better life there.
A very old lake
Since North Macedonia is very fertile, there is a lot of agriculture. For example, people grow grain, sugar beets, sunflowers and tobacco. In addition to the food industry, the textile industry is an important branch of the economy. Large parts of North Macedonia are overgrown with maquis. This is the name given to a landscape made up of many evergreen bushes and small trees. There are also beautiful lakes in North Macedonia. One of them, Lake Ohrid, is the oldest lake in Europe.
German is popular
Many different peoples live together in North Macedonia. In addition to the Macedonians, this also includes the Albanians, Turks, Roma, Serbs and Bosniaks. Many different languages are spoken in the country. The boys and girls have to go to primary school for nine years and then another four years to secondary school. They learn English from the first grade. Another very popular foreign language is German.
- What are buyers looking for at Flippa
- Science overcomes religion
- How do defense lawyers support their clients
- What is the greatest quality of humanity
- What are your favorite cheap snacks
- Managing your employees is important
- Why does my life feel so unfulfilled
- Why do we experience guilt
- Who benefits from US national debt
- How does a country control inflation
- Can pregnancy occur without breastfeeding
- Life becomes easier
- Dogs get sick when they eat feces
- What is the most efficient startup diet
- Are the Berbers mixed races
- Are INFJs dangerous to be friends with?
- Which is the best Thai restaurant chain
- Children should vaccinate their parents
- Why shouldn't gambling be forbidden?
- Should I tip Ikea delivery guys
- Do you really love to love
- At what temperature should I repeat pizza
- What's your favorite cricket screenshot
- How did Bogota Colombia get its name
- Why should I go to Taiwan
- How do I get Nike vouchers
- Is polytechnically synonymous with ITI
- What is the best SEO certification
- Is Islam for everyone
- Can you name a few prominent couples
- What is the opposite of an antihero
- How long does it take for Vashikaran to work
- Is chewing gum infinite
- Is the lending club legitimate