What is the American kitchen made of?
Soul food - food for the soul
If there is one food that makes you happy, it is soul food. As the name suggests, this kitchen style is a real caress for the soul. No calories are counted here, it can be fatty, fried and generous. What is this special African-American culinary culture, which is still lovingly cherished and cared for in restaurants in the southern United States today?
What is soul food?
The traditional cuisine of Afro-Americans, which is mainly at home in the southern United States, is called soul food. The dishes are lavish, nutritious and all around delicious. Soul Food stands for a cozy meal with the family, for feeling good, for the taste of home.
Where does soul food come from?
This nutritious kitchen culture is based on the eating habits of African Americans who had to work as slaves on the plantations of the southern states. During the period of slavery and afterwards, African Americans mostly had to resort to cheap or inferior food. In the middle of the 19th century, the dishes that arose from this became the culinary symbol of the identity-creating kitchen culture of the civil rights movement under Malcom X and Martin Luther King. So what was cooked out of the need of the Afro-American slaves is now an integral part of American cuisine.
What are soul food dishes made of?
The lack of available food and ingredients resulted in a creative mix of vegetables, meat, potatoes, fruit and nuts. It is mainly seasoned with cayenne pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, sesame, saffron, thyme and vinegar. A lot of fat and sugar can also be found in the dishes of the soul food, especially to improve the taste of the then inferior foods. Most of the meat comes in a braised, deep-fried or fried form.
Typical ingredients of the Soul Food dishes are:
- Sweet potatoes
- Pig feet
Typical soul food dishes are:
- Spare ribs (pork ribs)
- Chicken Wings (Chicken Wings)
- Meat and Three (corn bread with three sides)
- Corn pudding (corn pudding)
- Corn Bread
- Johnny Cakes (salted cornmeal pancakes)
- Hushpuppys (corn balls)
- Grits (corn groats / polenta)
- Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- Turkey Wings
- Chitterlings (offal from pork)
This delicious culinary culture of the southern states is of course also available in your city - simply on speisekarte.de.
- Singapore has a different season than summer
- Why should anyone study music
- Is Com Mirza a fraud
- Why doesn't my mother listen to me
- Can gifted children become normal, average children?
- Which countries have the strictest divorce laws?
- Is Greta Thunberg the highest paid activist
- Fortnite is a free version of Minecraft
- How should I store fresh fruit
- Why do so many people watch TV
- How is life in Saxony-Anhalt
- How is Pho Vietnamese noodle soup made
- Why Mark preferred PHP to Facebook
- Why should you choose a consultation?
- How does Byjus generate income
- The salaries of programmers are falling
- Have fountain filters
- Why are chemical engineers paid so much
- Why is pop culture obsessed with pizza
- How many potatoes should I eat each day?
- What is the tastiest type of fish
- When did Turkey rule in Saudi Arabia?
- What is the Chinese word for one
- What do meta keywords mean
- How can I become a seaman
- How do elevator control systems work
- Why is chemistry important in a relationship
- What is MEP design
- How big are polar bears
- What is India's view of Pakistan
- How was China before reform
- How do I stop listening to KPOP