FBI Director James Comey is compromised
Washington (AP) - The then FBI director James Comey clearly deviated from the norms of his authority when investigating the Hillary Clinton's email affair, but was not politically influenced. This is the conclusion of the final report of the US Department of Justice.
The inspector general of the ministry, a kind of supreme guardian of rules to be observed, sees "clear and dramatic" deviations in Comey's investigations. Michael Horowitz explained that they had damaged the image of the FBI and the ministry as fair institutions that strive for justice.
As expected, US President Donald Trump used the report to launch new attacks on Comey, the Democrats, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and the FBI. In a true Twitter storm intensified by Fox News, Trump described the report as a total disaster for Comey, his "lackeys" and the FBI itself.
In an article for the New York Times, Comey wrote: "I disagree with all of the Inspector General's conclusions, but I respect the work of his office and take my hat off to their professionalism." Acting FBI director Christopher Wray said in a press conference that even if the final report came to the conclusion that there had been misjudgments and rule violations: the integrity and political neutrality of the federal police authority had not been compromised.
In a 30-minute, impromptu live appearance in front of the White House on Fox News on Friday, Trump called the assessment ridiculous that the FBI investigation had not also been politically influenced at the top level. "I think Comey was the ringleader of an entire robber's den," he said.
As Secretary of State, Clinton had also used a private server for e-mail. This is forbidden and was made a very big issue by the Republicans in the 2016 US presidential campaign. The FBI was also preoccupied with the affair. But Comey decided not to recommend charges against Clinton: one of the reasons Trump fired him in May 2017. That in turn led to the appointment of FBI special investigator Robert Mueller. This determined because of secret election agreements between Trump's team and Russia.
Trump calls this investigation a witch hunt. Such a previously unknown detail in the 568-page report should give the President new impetus for his thesis that the FBI and his Justice Department had worked against him.
The report contains a dialogue between FBI attorney Lisa Page and Peter Strzok, in charge of both the Russia investigation and the Clinton affair. Page said Trump would hopefully never become President? Strzok replied, "No. No, he won't. We will stop this."
Rudy Giuliani, one of Trump's lawyers, called on Mueller to resign in light of the report on Friday. Trump said he would like to agree to a conversation with Mueller, but that he thinks the investigation is very partial.
The report of the inspector general discredited the investigation of Mueller completely, said Trump. In fact, the report does not do that anywhere.
- What made Taiwan legalize same-sex marriage?
- How can you find people in Australia
- Sucking jobs
- What is Qualified Immunity for Prosecutors
- Every generation grows weaker and wiser
- Did Donald Trump fix the US economy
- How did people eat in the 19th century
- Can a tree grow in a tree
- Businesses Make Profits With Plastic Bags
- Punish God
- Are Christian Arabs seen as white?
- Why is drama important in literature
- Great physicists make trivial mathematical mistakes
- Is that art 4
- Can old computers be reused?
- What do ENTPs think of INFPs
- What is random of choice
- What is the significance of Filipino history
- How is Kamala Harris personally
- Which pathogen causes HIV
- Why is listening useful in language
- What are good alternatives to Microsoft Project
- Why do some halal restaurants serve alcohol?
- What's the worst part about the breakup
- Do foreigners feel privileged in China?
- How to make friends who travel alone
- Where are most of the tech companies in Ireland
- Are the people of China friendly?
- How does South Africa compare to Australia
- Has a peaceful protest ever achieved anything?
- Baby diapers expire
- Who is Fatima in Islam
- What is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle 8
- Who pays the closing costs for the new building