What is your unique family tradition
People share their very special family traditions and I'm a little jealous
"We hide the cucumber pendant in the tree and when you find it, you get a Christmas cookie in the shape of a penis, which is called a 'Christmas penis'."
Translated from a post by Josie Ayre.
The other day we asked the BuzzFeed Community if they'd like to tell us about their most unique family traditions. We share the most special, silliest and cutest answers with you, of course:
1. “Every time we get a new pet, we name it after a song or an artist. We always welcome it by gathering in the living room and playing the music. "
"Our newest addition to the family is our cat Benny (the abbreviated version for Cat Benatar), who got performances from 'Love is a Battlefield' and 'Bennie & The Jets'."
2. “We always make our own crackers for Christmas. But pants come in instead of party hats. "
“New pants, of course! Everyone then sits at the table and wears trousers on their heads. That was our grandmother's idea and now we all do it with our families. "
3. “That was 20 years ago, but we had this tradition that we called“ hide Justin ”. It was a postcard from Justin Timberlake and we had to hide it somewhere in the house - the stranger the hiding place, the better. "
“Whoever found it had to hide it again. We sometimes found it in the microwave, on the roof, in coat pockets, in shoes or in breakfast cereals. I think my brother even froze him in a block of ice once. The game paused for years until the postcard fell apart. "
4. "At Easter my family always cooks eggs and we try to break each other's eggs."
"The last person to have a whole egg wins."
5. “Sometime in the 1960s my father bought a Playboy magazine that came with a kind of Monopoly game. The goal of the game was a little different though: you had to walk around the board and buy as much weed as possible and then bring it home without losing it. So my dad ripped it out of the magazine, drew joints on paper, and kept it. Now my family plays it every Christmas with Monopoly money and counters. "
“It's called 'Heds and Feds'. This is one of the many experiences you have growing up with hippie parents. That and: 'Don't talk' about your mother's 'herbal medicine' at school. ""
6. "We hide the cucumber pendant in the tree and when you find it, you get a Christmas biscuit in the shape of a penis, which is called a 'Christmas penis'."
“I made cookies‘ in a year and one that was supposed to be a candy cane looked more like a penis. So my husband and I thought it would be fun to give away the cookie as a prize. I'm a professional comedian and our kids can always get excited about a good joke. It's an honor for us to put the penis biscuit in your mouth! I know how strange it all sounds, but that's the way it is! "
7. “When I was little, my parents used to kiss me goodnight. We had a real routine: it was a kiss, a hug and a 'secret' (they whispered in my ear that they loved me). The whole thing was called 'Goodnighties'. "
8. "When you cut the birthday cake in our family, you have to scream as loudly as possible when the knife hits the plate."
“Everyone is screaming, it's totally crazy. Just because a family friend did it when I turned seven. "
9. “Once my mother bought banners for my stepfather's birthday that just said 'Congratulations' because there weren't any special ones for the birthday. From then on it was a tradition that every time someone in the family had a birthday there was decoration with something totally inappropriate like 'Welcome back' or 'It's a girl!' "
10. "My family drinks a short with Southern Comfort every Easter morning."
11. "For every birthday you get pulled by your hair as many times as you have gotten old - then again for luck and once for the next year."
12. “We have a beer competition every Christmas. Everyone old enough brings a unique beer. We try all of them without knowing which one it is and then evaluate them. "
“The winner receives a very coveted trophy that is passed on every year. It's super intense and everyone has been planning on it for months. It is great."
13. “Every time someone in our family gets a new car, we go to my grandmother's and celebrate by giving the car a name, drinking champagne and all that. Every single car here has a name. "
14. “When it is my father's birthday, we hit him (very gently) on the head with a saucepan. I don't know when it started, but we've been doing this since I was a little kid.
15. “Our family has a battle cry. When we are planning something really hard or are about to do it, one of us shouts 'CORPSE'! The rest of the family shouts it out and we all raise our fists and shout 'NEVER' in a mock high-pitched voice! "
“For those who are interested: Before COVID, our entire family went to Costa Rica for the winter vacation. One night when all the children were already in bed, the adults were sitting in the living room and a bat flew through the window and crashed straight into the ceiling fan. My aunt screamed something and nobody knows what it was anymore, but it sounded like 'BODY'! When we were all finished packing, it became our battle cry. The bat was doing fine, by the way. The second part came about when my then five-year-old cousin bucked about something totally unimportant. His mother wanted him to put his shoes on and he put his little fist up and shouted 'NEVER!' "
16. "If you catch your good seat while watching TV and you get up, you have to say 'Put, Put', which means that nobody is allowed to steal your seat while you are away."
17. “My family always plays bingo on Thanksgiving. It's a really big deal for us. My uncle even bought a huge machine to mix the bingo balls with. "
18. "At some point it has become a tradition for my father to do a striptease on" Leave Your Hat On "at every family gathering."
19. “Every time on Thanksgiving, the children compete in a dance duel against the adults. The winner will be decided by the senior group of the family. "
"We children always win, even though the adults have a professional dancer on the team."
20. “Eat hot dogs on Halloween! My mom calls them "Hello Weenies!"
21. “We have four family members whose birthday is around Easter. The one whose birthday is closest to Easter gets a chocolate bunny on his * her cake. "
"And nobody else is allowed to have a cake with an Easter decoration that year."
22. "Every Guy Fawkes night (November 5th) my family and I eat a whole package of 'Fred Piglets' from Katjes and then burn four of them in a fireplace."
"It started a few years ago because I asked what happens when you burn a Fred Piglet."
23. “Whenever we go to a hotel, I am the person who is allowed to unpack the little soap. That is also the first thing we do when we go into the room. "
“If my sister secretly unpacks it first, then we go to the housekeeper and get a new one. My brother can press the button in the elevator and my sister the one to get the elevator. "
24. “We have a kitchen chicken. It's a rubber chicken that we hide in the kitchen. "
“If you find it, you have to shout 'I found the chicken!' And then hide it somewhere else. When I moved out, I was given my own rubber chicken. "
25. "Every birthday we sing three different versions of the birthday song: the normal song, a beat box version with the words' May the Lord bless you" and finally we spell G-E-B-U-R-T-S-T-A-G several times. "
“It goes on for a few minutes and is super embarrassing for anyone who comes by. I still love my family. "
Some answers have been shortened or edited for clarity.
Tell us about your family's fun and unique traditions in the comments and we may bring them up in one of our next articles.
This article first appeared in English.
- How many minutes are there in 5 hours
- What do black baby ducks look like
- Why is nursing school difficult
- Help apps or waste time on students
- Why did Taco Bell fail in Singapore
- CBD oil lowers blood pressure
- How do you begin to understand China?
- What are enemas
- What is the minimum alternative tax
- We teach foreign languages in different countries
- How often does marriage counseling help
- What is Sheffield known for?
- Fire fighting How does burning meat smell
- Is Keanu Reeves on social media
- Why is Indian media racist and left-wing
- How should America's relationship with China be?
- Why is an immigration lawyer so important
- Income tax on 2 lakhs of salary
- How to convert between number systems
- How do I watch live football
- How do I come up with the idea of a restaurant name
- How do you feel in your home
- What is the Luciferian teaching
- What is the divorce rate in Pakistan