Is perfection the enemy of progress
Perfectionism: 4 Ways You Can Overcome It
People who want the best in their careers and life always strive for it Excellence. But how do you know when the pursuit of what is really good leads to perfectionism?
As with so many things, an exaggerated positive quality can turn into something negative because perfectionism leads to Delays and hinders progress.
This principle can also be applied to other properties. For example, appears engagement only positive at first, but too much of a good thing can be an obstacle to decision-making and effective relationships.
In individuals, perfectionism is common with depressions connected and with teams it can stand in the way of progress, as projects are never good enough. For organizations, an over-emphasis on perfection can paralyze and lead to Inability to innovate to lead.
Perfectionism is increasing
According to a new one study, published by the American Psychological Association, perfectionism among college students has increased since 1989. This applied to all genders and related to all types of perfectionism:
- self-oriented perfectionism (I have to be perfect)
- socially mandated perfectionism (others expect me to be perfect)
- otherwise oriented perfectionism (I expect others to be perfect)
The increase in perfectionist tendencies correlates with an increased frequency of:
- Suicidal thoughts
In addition, perfectionism is predictive of depression. When people are self-critical and extremely concerned about theirs error the more likely they are to become depressed. This applies to both young people and adults.
Researchers suspect that the increase in perfectionist behavior is also on Social media could be. When people emphasize their own worth too much and demonstrate it in public, it can lead them to flawless want to be.
In addition, people tend to compare themselves on social media.
We always try to measure ourselves against others.
However, only embellished versions of ourselves are shared on social media, which makes comparison difficult.
Book tip: Overcoming perfectionism
How to use the Pareto principle in your job and everyday life
Paperback: 108 pages
Released on: November 25, 2019
Price: 7,99 €
Watch it now on Amazon
How to Avoid Perfectionism
Perfection can stand in the way of progress or how Voltaire says:
"The perfect is the enemy of the good."
Perfectionism can hinder individuals, teams, and organizations by perfectionists:
- hold on to perfection before looking for a development opportunity
- delaying a team's progress by waiting for everything to be just right
- Criticize ideas excessively
Here are 4 tipshow to do a good job without falling into the perfectionism trap:
1. Strive for challenges
One of the traits of perfectionism is to avoid situations in which one could fail. The Striving for control in turn requires increasing efforts and greater challenges. Therefore you should:
- look for experiences that are outside of your comfort zone
- Finding opportunities to test your skills and challenge them so much that you sometimes fail
Learning cannot happen without failure.
If you never fail, you probably aren't really trying and you may be striving for perfectionism rather than excellence.
2. Seek feedback
Perfectionism is often associated with that Avoidance of criticism associated. Feedback is the key to continually improving yourself and reflecting on your performance.
EXTRA: Criticism at work: 5 healthy ways to deal with it
Reflect on your current situation and figure out how you could make it better.
Making mistakes is part of being human. Know yours Opportunities for improvement and use the feedback as a stepping stone to build your skills and talents.
3. Trust yourself
With a growth mindset, that plays a role Improvement of own skills a major role. If you make a mistake or fail, keep trying.
EXTRA: Learning from mistakes in the company: 6 helpful strategies
This is more than just a platitude you might have heard from a parent or teacher. It's critical to everyone development. It is very natural to miss a goal or fail at a task when you are challenging yourself.
A perfectionist attitude is self-destructive.
However, research by the Australian Catholic University has shown that self-pity can mitigate the negative effects of perfectionism.
What is the difference between those who achieve a lot and those who achieve little? The question is whether people get through failure be inspired to make further efforts. Be kind to yourself and trust that you will make an effort to take the next big step.
4. Expect changes
Develop a mindset in which Improvements are the norm. Recognize the elements that are hindering progress and delaying progress. In comparison, also recognize the elements that can be introduced for testing, learning and improvement.
A idea Developing and publishing a project is acceptable if you have new ideas:
Ensure a system for continuous improvements, to achieve top performance. This thinking, which is sometimes referred to as design thinking, applies to both:
- own developments
You may never find yourself perfect, but that shouldn't prevent you from making an appropriate one risk enter into and seize opportunities.
The pressures to be perfect may come from ourselves or from others, but they are rarely constructive and can cause problems such as:
- Project delays
The alternative is to strive for Excellence. Strive for challenges, seek feedback, trust yourself, and anticipate change so that you can be great even when you are not perfect are.
Tracy Brower has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We have translated it for you so that we can exchange ideas with our readers on relevant topics.
- How can I found an NGO
- What are the characteristics of human needs
- At what age does depression generally occur?
- Why is interior design very important
- Why should someone become a butler?
- How do teenagers change
- How do I set up a translation agency
- Every generation grows weaker and wiser
- Which book do you like
- How can I feminize my husband
- Can you feel guilty about being yourself?
- Denmark has banned halal kosher meat
- Is steel an alloy?
- How do teenagers change
- Is Hillary really a Rockefeller Republican?
- Why do I want to cheat
- Older homes can get fiber optic WiFi
- Can a student work in Germany?
- What should a four year old know
- What are the best books on education
- What is multiculturalism food in Australia
- Why is a written construction necessary
- What should I know about Nigeria
- Is Kidsoft the best childcare management software
- Should I learn Icelandic
- Impatience causes fear
- Why is foreign direct investment implemented?
- Are business development jobs in the field
- What is a sustainable environment
- Qatar is a very conservative country
- What can society do to destroy feminism?
- Why are some situations in life uncontrollable
- Why do Kerala people love beef