Are prison guards armed
21 dead in attempted prison break in Brazil
Rio de Janeiro - At least 21 people were killed in an attempted prison break in northern Brazil on Tuesday. An "extremely heavily armed group" supported the attempted breakout, said the security authorities of the Para state. The dead came in clashes with the police.
Prisoners in the detention center near the city of Belem also had weapons at their disposal. They were supported by the armed group outside the prison that used explosive devices. An attempt was made to blow up a wall.
"Intense exchange of fire"
According to the security authorities, the prison guards tried to repel the attack with firearms. It was said that there was an "intense exchange of fire". A special police unit had arrived to reinforce the situation.
Among the dead were reportedly 20 prisoners and attackers from outside as well as a prison guard. Five other guards were injured, one seriously.
The authorities said it was being checked whether prisoners had managed to leave the prison. Two rifles and five handguns had been seized.
There are around 60,000 homicides per year in Brazil and the prisons are notoriously overcrowded. Violence in prisons is not uncommon. According to the latest official statistics from 2016, there were almost 727,000 inmates in Brazilian prisons at the time. However, there was only capacity for 368,000.
Power struggles between rival drug gangs are often shifted from the streets to prison. One of the bloodiest prison riots in 2017 in Manaus in the Amazon region killed 56 people.
Prison Authority Warning
The police are also constantly under fire. She is accused of undermining the right to be responsible for extrajudicial executions and falsification of evidence and of not investigating crimes committed by her own officials.
According to information from February, the Santa Izabel detention center now affected last had 660 inmates, with a maximum capacity of 432 inmates. A report by the prison authorities had warned in February of the risk of trying to escape with outside assistance. In November 2017, 14 prisoners had fled the Santa Izabel Asylum. Another attempt to escape in January failed. (APA, April 11, 2018)
- Web development overcrowded
- Rachel Maddow was played by Trump
- What is entrepreneur and types of entrepreneurs
- Most older people accept death
- How many different thoughts can a person express?
- Is the PUBG mobile game dangerous for children?
- What does the Bible say about government?
- Can dogs eat pho
- How are prisons in South Africa
- Can CBD gums get you high
- How does the contract staffing work
- Who defends Harvey Weinstein in Hollywood
- Why was Christ cruel to animals?
- What are the negative effects of daemonization
- Top 5 rich country in the world
- Are women unable to physically dress
- How should I react logically to someone
- How long will Wonder stay in theaters?
- Which former Google employees work at Facebook
- What makes taxation not theft
- Why is the weather in England bleak
- What are the best biodegradable cleaning products
- Why is Paris so expensive
- Is your last name unique to your family
- What is subsonic flow and sonic flow
- Has your daughter ever broken your heart
- Why are hats unacceptable in American society
- What race were the Moors
- How is the birth rate calculated
- How late is it now in Paris
- What is architecture as human history
- What is it like to live in Copenhagen
- Why do stairs have noses?