Are there cultures that celebrate obesity
WHO calls for more programs against obesity
The number of overweight children and adolescents is increasing at an alarming rate around the world.
On World Diabetes Day this Saturday, the World Health Organization (WHO) calls on all countries to fight obesity more decisively, especially among young people, for example by promoting sporting activities. Being very overweight is one of the biggest risk factors for diabetes.
The WHO: "Eating healthy, exercising regularly, maintaining normal weight and avoiding tobacco products are ways to prevent or delay diabetes."
The WHO estimates that six percent of the world's population have diabetes. That's more than 420 million people. In absolute numbers, there are four times as many people worldwide today as in 1980. 1.6 million people die from the disease every year.
In the coronavirus pandemic, people with diabetes are particularly at risk because if they get infected, they will have to reckon with a more severe course of the Covid-19 disease, according to the WHO. In many countries, the care of diabetes patients has been hampered or interrupted due to the pandemic. "Access to essential drugs, including insulin, is alarmingly low," says WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. Poor countries in particular needed financial and logistical support in order to be able to supply the population better.
By far the most common form of diabetes is type 2. Older and overweight people in particular are at high risk. With them, the effectiveness of insulin in the body decreases over the years. Many sick people also produced less and less of this vital metabolic hormone, which in particular controls the carbohydrate metabolism.
Type 1 diabetes breaks out in childhood or adolescence and is comparatively rare. In the autoimmune disease, the pancreas does not produce any insulin or does not produce enough insulin. According to the German Diabetes Society (DDG), especially young type 1 diabetics with well-set values and without diabetes complications have no increased risk of a severe course of a corona infection.
© dpa-infocom, dpa: 201114-99-329753 / 2 (dpa)
- How can you be a good boss
- Where does the term blue hawk come from?
- What percentage of Americans are immigrants?
- What's the best video game ending
- What is the authoritarian government
- What is the pattern of CA EXAM
- Are 19 year olds really adults?
- How does a washing machine wash shoes?
- Why is my pussy so hot
- What is a playground 1
- On which goods is an export tax levied?
- How are the Chinese relations with New Zealand?
- How can children recognize bullying
- Can you die from vaping
- Do Chinese also speak English
- Is Donald Trump secretly gay
- What ruined the Christmas dinner for you
- Is Donald Trump married
- Where should I stay when visiting Albuquerque
- How do I deal with my romantic boyfriend
- How successful is Hong Kong Disneyland
- What does an ethical hacker do
- When is the salary better than the hourly wage?
- What do you buy from WalMart