What do healthy people eat for breakfast
The Surprising Truth: Is It Healthy Not To Eat Breakfast?
Table of Contents
- No breakfast = no problem?
- Myth: Isn't eating breakfast unhealthy?
- Myth: does breakfast boost your metabolism?
- Myth: Will you gain weight faster if you don't eat breakfast?
- Myth: eat as much breakfast as possible in the morning?
- Myth: do you have to have breakfast or not?
- Knowledge to take away
No breakfast = no problem?
Whether it's crispy muesli, creamy quark, sandwiches or fresh fruit: For many people, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It is widely believed that those who have breakfast are more active and live healthier lives.
But does that also mean that people no breakfast eat because they often forget to eat or simply have no appetite in the morning or live less healthily?
We introduce you to five popular breakfast myths and explain why not eating breakfast is unhealthy.
1. Myth: Isn't eating breakfast unhealthy?
Many studies show that people who eat breakfast regularly live healthier lives and have a lower BMI (Body Mass Index). Those who eat copiously in the morning have a lower risk of developing chronic diseases or of becoming obese.
However, studies on nutritional behavior in particular are almost always observational studies. This means that the information and observations are made by the test participants themselves. At the time of the query, however, many participants can hardly remember what they ate last week, for example. In addition, participants like to fool a little when it comes to unhealthy food.
These studies show that people who eat breakfast are healthier, but they don't show if it is because of the breakfast itself. People who do not eat breakfast do not necessarily lead to an unhealthy life.
Presumably, the main reason is that people who make the effort to prepare a balanced breakfast in the morning have a healthier lifestyle than others anyway (1).
2nd myth: does breakfast boost the metabolism?
It is often said that a good breakfast in the morning will get your metabolism going throughout the day. This assumption is based on the thermal effect that various nutrients have.
The thermal effect is the increase in the body's energy expenditure, which occurs due to the digestion and processing of nutrients. The processing of proteins takes a lot more energy than that of fats, for example.
Studies have now shown that it makes no difference to the metabolism whether you have breakfast or not. The only thing that matters is the total amount of kilocalories ingested per day, not when or how you eat them (2).
Find out here how you can get your metabolism going quickly and easily!
3. Myth: Doesn't you gain weight faster if you don't eat breakfast?
As already described, people who do not have breakfast in the morning tend to have a higher body weight. It can be concluded that skipping breakfast leads to weight gain.
In fact, people who haven't eaten breakfast often eat more lunch. However, most of them do not eat enough to trump the calories saved.
So there is no scientific evidence that people who don't eat breakfast gain weight faster. On the contrary: some studies even show that people who do not eat breakfast save up to 400 kilocalories per day.
Another four-month study, with 309 overweight participants, looked at the effects of a daily breakfast on weight loss. It turned out after four months that there was no difference in weight loss between the group that had breakfast and the group that skipped breakfast.
For weight gain or loss, it makes no difference whether you eat breakfast or not (3).
4th myth: eat as much breakfast as possible in the morning?
It is said that eating too much breakfast in the morning to be full longer is important for everyone. But what if you just don't have an appetite in the morning and can just have a cup of coffee?
Our expert explains what is important in nutrition and how much you should eat at what time of the day:
"The metabolism is not yet in full swing early in the morning; overloading the body with a huge meal would tend to make you tired. The main meal should be eaten at noon if possible, including meat if it is part of the menu. In the evening it would be good to only eat a small amount, "explains Linda Marx, a qualified ecotrophologist and certified nutritionist.
5th myth: do you have to have breakfast or not?
Many studies have now shown that breakfast in the morning is not a must. It neither boosts your metabolism, nor does it help you lose weight. It is more important to eat healthy and nutritious meals throughout the day.
If you are not hungry in the morning, you should not force yourself to eat breakfast. It is better to wait until the hunger comes on its own and then to eat something. If you are hungry in the morning, you should resort to protein and vitamin-rich recipes and ignore fatty foods.
Smoothies in particular are an easy way to take in lots of vitamins and nutrients, even if you are not really hungry. Even if breakfast doesn't have a big effect on the body, it makes it easier for many people to start the day.
Also read:Why you should eat protein for breakfast
In addition, if you have breakfast in the morning, you are often more concentrated on work.
Here you will find delicious ideas on how you can easily prepare your breakfast at home and then eat it in the office.
Knowledge to take away
The fact is that people who eat breakfast regularly then usually eat healthier and are fitter than people who do not have breakfast. Whether this is due to the breakfast itself or simply because these people then also have a healthier lifestyle, could not be proven.
It makes no difference whether you have breakfast or not, neither for the body's energy consumption during the day, nor for weight loss or gain. People who do not have breakfast eat more for lunch, but usually not as much as they saved in kilocalories by skipping breakfast.
Eating a lot of breakfast in the morning without being hungry does not bring the body any advantages and nobody should force themselves to eat breakfast. If you like to eat in the morning, you should use healthy foods and not eat meals that are too fatty or too sugary.
The main meal of the day should be eaten at noon.
- How do I make my skin light
- How much geometry is there in trigonometry
- What would the Prophet Muhammad think of ISIS
- What is the best beach in Phuket
- How does it feel to crack UPSC
- Flat feet can cause ankle pain
- Can teachers drive students home?
- Why don't the Irish like England
- Why are hateful people hated
- Why can't I bring soda to school
- Did Unit 731 really exist
- What do you expect from life
- Where does fashion come from
- How powerful is the Swiss military
- Who has authority over the sheriff
- What determines the success or prosperity of a country
- How often do hurricanes occur each year
- What ruined your relationship with your spouse
- How should I handle my finances
- What is your MBTI Type 8
- What was the ideology of social democracy
- What are Jewish traditions and culture
- How can I learn Chinese in China
- Social work pays off well
- Will the Indian IT companies die
- What are the famous local foods of your country
- Why do older men love young girls
- Who suffers more children or divorced parents
- Which children's films make adults cry
- How successful is Ayushman Bharat
- How do I deal with racist classmates
- What should a four year old know
- What are the characteristics of Telugu
- Should high school be compulsory